HP-2 & PRaT

postjack

So I've always understood the term PRaT to somehow be associated with punchiness and speed; I've always thought "fast" when somebody says PRaT. But when I'm listening to the HP2, it almost feels like it is one small step slower rhythm wise then its younger wooden cousin the RS-1, and this slight step back in pace results in perfect timing with the music. Its an uncanny and strangely exhilarating effect. Its like I'm watching a tightrope walker who I am sure is just about to fall off, but they never do. My heart is in my chest as I'm listening to the drums just move along with a crazy sense of purpose, and I always feel like the beat is about to miss itself, but it never does! Its just exactly in its right place at the exact time it is supposed to be. :) And to these ears, that is part of what contributes to the engaging and exciting listening experience of the HP-2.

So is this PRaT? :)

That's a great way of articulating it. Another way to describe prat is "groove," the sensation of "playing in the pocket." That's typically a musician's term that we use when you lay back on the beat just a bit so that the gestalt feels like it sits right in this tiny pocket, you keep it there and it just grooves and chugs right along. It almost has a feeling of tension, because your body wants to propel the beat forward but the musicians keep it nice and relaxed and laid back. Huge with jazz.

Prat deals a lot with transient response. The RS-1's are definitely tipped more forward in comparison to the HP-2's. Which is cool too, but you gotta appreciate that sensation of grooviness that the HP-2's are able to exhibit.

As I am doing right now with some Dave Brubeck and Time Out - now that guy knows how to comp in the pocket.