My next digital transport: Squeezebox v3 using coax (RCA) digital out

darkless

I've been trying to think of a nice digital home transport that would be able to feed the digital part of my rig. My iRiver has served me well, but its optical out is probably less than ideal. It's also running out of space... I used to have most of my music LAME-APS encoded, but I've recently moved to wavpack (a lossless format similar to FLAC, both of which is supported natively on the rockbox'ed iRiver). Also, I don't want to be forced to have a computer running nearby in order to enjoy my music.

Solution? Squeezebox. It can stream the music from my linux server in the closet (where I can't hear it) to my home rig. There are also various ways to remote control it (using the supplied remote, a Nokia 770 tablet w. custom webinterface, PDAs, etc).

The question of digital interface remained, however. My source supports AES/EBU via 110 Ohm XLR, S/PDIF via optical or 75 Ohm coax (RCA). The Squeezebox has S/PDIF via optical and coax (RCA), so my choice settled on a 75 Ohm BNC-terminated cable fitted w. RCA adapters.

Recommendations on true 75 Ohm characteristic impedance cables w. BNC-terminations that can be fitted with RCA adapters will be much appreciated. :)

Now I just need to find someone else in Europe who might be interested in getting a Squeezebox, so we can take advantage of their "$100 off if you buy 2" rebate... preferably someone who lives in a place with cheaper VAT than Denmark (25% + 3% sales tax) :o

• 1 month later...

Time to bump darkless's thread to the top since I have a few questions regarding the SB3 as well. :D

1. So should I use the coax output as well? (I'm thinking of connecting this to a DA10.)

2. Does USB cable quality matter?

3. For those who own the SB3, how good or bad is the SB3's headphone out. (This will determine whether I get my Lavry first or my headphones first. If the headphone out is tolerable, I will upgrade my headphones first. I'm in desperate need of upgrading since I've been having serious comfort issues with my SA5K and HD650.)

4. The SB3 wireless version can connect to a wireless network. Assume I'm connecting my laptop to an university wireless network via WiFi. Can I use my SB3? Or does this depend on the settings of the school network itself?

Haha, thanks. :)

i've been thinking about getting a cleaner transport - something like this or the linksys music bridge might be a good idea. the 0404 is still going strong but i'm paranoid about all the jittery stuff in my old Dell box.

i've been thinking about getting a cleaner transport - something like this or the linksys music bridge might be a good idea. the 0404 is still going strong but i'm paranoid about all the jittery stuff in my old Dell box.

How are the opinions regarding the Linksys Music Bridge? I think I remember it was mentioned in a Meet Impressions thread, but not much was said.

How are the opinions regarding the Linksys Music Bridge? I think I remember it was mentioned in a Meet Impressions thread, but not much was said.

Lan has one - i heard it in his rig at his place and it even made a 160AAC sound like butter. i like it. and that was using my modded DAC-ah too, and it wasn't even burned in, so i think part of the kudos must go to the transport as well.

Hmmm, interesting. At $99, it looks like a good deal. I would unfortunately prefer the SB3 I guess due to the remote control ability and other particular features perks.

I wonder how it compares with the Airport Express. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two devices.

Hmmm, interesting. At $99, it looks like a good deal. I would unfortunately prefer the SB3 I guess due to the remote control ability and other particular features perks.

I wonder how it compares with the Airport Express. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two devices.

i think the big diff there is that the linksys has coax and optical outputs while the airport has just a mini toslink optical out. i don't remember if it has analog rcas out too (i think it does) but why bother since it's just going to be bypassed for an external dac, right?

i think the big diff there is that the linksys has coax and optical outputs while the airport has just a mini toslink optical out. i don't remember if it has analog rcas out too (i think it does) but why bother since it's just going to be bypassed for an external dac, right?

Ah, I see. Both coax and optical. What do you think is the better one to use (coax or optical)? Or does actually depend on the quality of the implementation of the coax and optical on the transport and the DAC?

Ah, I see. Both coax and optical. What do you think is the better one to use (coax or optical)? Or does actually depend on the quality of the implementation of the coax and optical on the transport and the DAC?

i use optical just because i like the shiny red light. no joke - i dunno crap about jitter, but the end result is sounding good so far!