ps-1 and rs-1 recabled to 4-pin xlr impressions

NotoriousBIG_PJ

I got my cans and my amp back yesterday. The ps-1's are recabled with a custom beryillium copper alloy cable, and the rs-1's are recabled with a moon audio black dragon. The amps 1/4" neutrik was replaced with a 4-pin xlr and some of the wiring was redone.

My initial impressions are that the sound is more open and 3d. The bass has become bloated, and the overall sound is less refined. I prefer the ps-1's over the rs-1's currently because of their added refinement and better sound stage, but the rs-1 midrange does have its moments.

Biggie.

Lets not forget the PS-1's rediculously overblown bass :)

The ps-1 bass quantity is extremely dependant on what you feed into it. I don't remember anyone saying to me "holyshitbass" after listening to my rig, but I've heard quite a few "I dunno why people say these have too much bass" comments. When I first got the ps-1's the bass was disgusting, but with some tube swapping I got it under control.

Biggie.

Bowls on the ps-1's, crushed bowls on the rs-1's. Flat pads on sr60's. :P

The sound on my system settled down to similar to its old sound. I've been choosing a headphone each night and listening to it. I'm not really a fan of swapping to the other can in the same listening session. ps-1 to rs-1-> rs-1 sounds too sloppy and unrefined, rs-1 to ps-1-> where'd the midrange magic go?

Biggie.

My initial impressions are that the sound is more open and 3d. The bass has become bloated, and the overall sound is less refined. I prefer the ps-1's over the rs-1's currently because of their added refinement and better sound stage, but the rs-1 midrange does have its moments.

Yo Biggie, I'm a little confused about this statement, and was hoping you could clarify. Is this a blanket statement about both the RS-1 and the PS-1? Meaning even though the two phones were recabled with different cables, both of them ended with the same sonic differences?

Interesting. I think you once mentioned that your PS-1 has some extra damping material inside for some reason, could this have something to do with its more refined sound?

My stock ps-1's handled leading s and t sounds better then my stock rs-1's. Also the less forward sound of the ps-1's seemed to help as well. The ps-1's always handled cymbal hits in a more realistic way (less splash, more control). I have no way of knowing what the speaker dampening inside my ps-1's is doing to the sound. What I do know is that the recable/dampening of my ps-1's had a larger positive impact on the sound than the recabling of my rs-1's. I believe this to be due to the quality of the wire in the ps-1's though.

Biggie.

Yo Biggie, I'm a little confused about this statement, and was hoping you could clarify. Is this a blanket statement about both the RS-1 and the PS-1? Meaning even though the two phones were recabled with different cables, both of them ended with the same sonic differences?

"My initial impressions are that the sound is more open and 3d. The bass has become bloated, and the overall sound is less refined." ->my initial reaction to hearing my system with both cans. The sound has since settled down and I'm not hearing these things anymore.

"I prefer the ps-1's over the rs-1's currently because of their added refinement and better sound stage, but the rs-1 midrange does have its moments." ->rs-1 vs. ps-1

Have you decided whether going to the four pin was an improvement?

Unfortunately I can't listen to the same tube complement I was using before, as I'm having a connection problem with my telefunken ecc82's. I wasn't having this problem until a few days ago. So the jury is still out for now. :P

Biggie.

Got my amp back last week. I had my gf listen to both headphones to see what she thought of them. She ended up preferring the ps-1's because the cymbals and tambourine hits had a clearer and more crisp sound. She found the rs-1 vocals to sound fuller, but didn't like that they weren't as clear sounding.

I find myself listening to the ps-1's mostly. The rs-1 bass has more of a hump and is rolled off. The ps-1 bass just satisfies. ^^

Biggie.