My Sprint PPC-6700 Phone is kaput.

Edwood

• 4 weeks later...

Having lived with the Sprint Touch for awhile, I think it's a keeper. Love the form factor, and finally got used to not having a physical keypad/thumb board. It's so freaking small (just a bit wider than a Moto RAZR and thinner)

I'm going to be putting the 6800 Mogul on eBay after Xmas.

-Ed

Extensively.

But first and foremost, since I'm on the awesome Sprint SERO plan, the iPhone loses due to AT&T hands down, no contest.

That said, here's the pluses and minuses.

Sprint Touch

Plus:

-Smaller overall than the iPhone,

-Touchscreen works with flesh of finger, fingernail, stylus, anything. iPhone, only fleshy part of fingers

-3rd Party Apps. (can install better on screen keyboards, the iPhone's keyboard is a love/hate thing, I hate it.)

-EVDO much much faster than iPhone's EDGE.

-Removeable battery, out of battery life? Just pop open the cover and swap out the battery.

-Email system much much better than iPhone. Can select multiple emails to delete, unlike the iPhone.

-Bluetooth much better than iPhone's retarded/crippled system.

-Tethering. I can use my Touch as a Modem with my Laptop on the go, and I can do it for free with a very simple hack.

Minus:

-LCD Screen is lower resolution and size than the iPhone. iPhone LCD has better viewing angle.

-Storage Space is small compared to the iPhone.

-Battery life is less so than the iPhone, but I can at least swap out batteries.

-Stock Pocket Internet Explorer sucks balls. I use Picsel Viewer instead, which the iPhone's mobile Safari is very much like. Lots of people prefer Opera Mini.

-Multimedia on the iPhone crushes the Sprint Touch. No contest.

-No Wifi. But since I use the cellular data connection with EVDO all the time, I don't need to slum and steal wifi connections on the go.

-No threaded text messaging. But it can be added as a 3rd party app. The new Windows Mobile 6.1 update will have Threaded Texting by default. Should be available as a firmware update for the Touch, but not sure if it will be "officially" available from Sprint.

Excellent Comparison Review:

http://wmexperts.com/featured/htc_touch_vs_iphone_part_1.html

Keep in mind they are comparing the slower GSM Touch. The Sprint Touch has double everything, CPU speed, RAM, and ROM.

Overall, the Sprint Touch wins. Since I primarily use my PDA Phone for productivity, internet, and communications, not for listening to music and watching movies, the Sprint Touch is the clear winner for me.

I will say that if you are a Mac person, any Pocket PC is not going to be your cup of tea. If you are a Windows person, a Pocket PC will be no problem.

Having used a few Pocket PC phones, the Touch is the best and easiest to use out of the box. HTC really did a great job with their built in apps. While you can get most of the same functionality by installing the HTC apps yourself, the Touch already has them by default. Every Pocket PC I've used before was an exercise in patience when first setting it up. But the Touch is pretty much ready to go, right out of the box.

-Ed

as a sprint customer (not by choice, but by nextel switch over)

Are you happy with your cell phone reception and coverage with Sprint so far? If so, you might want to consider getting on the SERO plan if you still can. It's much easier if you don't mind signing up for a whole new account and don't mind getting a new phone number. Porting your old number is trickier, but doable. The SERO plan is only available for "new" customers. Basically the easiest way is to port your number is to sign up for a pay as you go plan with T-Mobile or AT&T. Port your number there. Cancel your old Sprint plan. Use T-Mobile/AT&T for a day or so, until your number is fully ported over. Then sign up for Sprint SERO as a "new" customer.

-Ed