Glenn Gould - The Complete Original Jacket Collection

postjack

He really is not only one of the most famous Canadians but one of the most famous classical performers of all time. Don't feel bad about not knowing who he is, but he is really famous.
The more I've been reading about him, the more I think I need to check some of his stuff out. I don't feel bad about not knowing who he is, was just being difficult. :D

• 2 months later...

Just got this one in today, and after staring at it all day have finally gotten the opportunity to listen. The set itself is beautiful, with an attractive surprisingly thick box (though I admit some tears have already occurred on the edges of the lid). The sleeves themselves are mini-lp sleeves, and are a lot of fun to look at, since they are perfect little recreations of the original vinyl, complete with all the fun instructions on the back like "no needle is permanent" and "make sure your turntable is level" and "record surface must be kept clean". The CDs also look like little records, which is also fun. :) Included also is a CD sized hard back booklet with little blurbs inside about each of the releases. Also there is a card inside listing all the recordings, which can be used as a quick reference when trying to locate a specific recordings amongst the 80 CDs.

Listening to the first disc, The Goldberg Variations, as we speak. The sound appears faithful but shows its age, with tape hiss entering in and out of the recording. But to these ears, these old recordings are a lovely thing to behold.

The packaging gets a total 5/5 for me. This is a boxed set I am very happy to have bought.

Just got this one in today, and after staring at it all day have finally gotten the opportunity to listen. The set itself is beautiful, with an attractive surprisingly thick box (though I admit some tears have already occurred on the edges of the lid). The sleeves themselves are mini-lp sleeves, and are a lot of fun to look at, since they are perfect little recreations of the original vinyl, complete with all the fun instructions on the back like "no needle is permanent" and "make sure your turntable is level" and "record surface must be kept clean". The CDs also look like little records, which is also fun. :) Included also is a CD sized hard back booklet with little blurbs inside about each of the releases. Also there is a card inside listing all the recordings, which can be used as a quick reference when trying to locate a specific recordings amongst the 80 CDs.

Listening to the first disc, The Goldberg Variations, as we speak. The sound appears faithful but shows its age, with tape hiss entering in and out of the recording. But to these ears, these old recordings are a lovely thing to behold.

The packaging gets a total 5/5 for me. This is a boxed set I am very happy to have bought.

fantastic set. Especially if you prognosticated its release, and sold the older less comprehensive box set and then bought this one and were out a total of $20 :)

I actually have [what is probably] that recording and one of his later recordings on vinyl. I like that one quite a bit but really like his performance from the 80's. The Aria is so to my liking. It's played at a much slower tempo and to me is much more enjoyable.

I'm glad that you decided to pull the trigger on that purchase. Let us know how you're liking it as get deeper and deeper into that box set.

Have to agree on the 80's vs. 50's. The 80's version is among my all time favourite recordings. The timing of his playing is just superb. Just when I start to miss a note, is just when he plays it.

I have only listened once to the 50's version and I didn't like it at all. However I reserve the right to change my opinion about the 50's version if further listenings should reveal hidden qualities.