ATH ESW9 vs Triple.fi 10 Pro

Tony

Hi guys. I'm looking for an upgrade and have grown interested in the ATH ESW9. They are the only portable can I would carry around, due to the good looks, small size and supposedly good sound quality. What I would like to know is if they are as good, if not better, than Triple.fi 10 Pro. Prices are comparable. Has anyone heard both (maybe Vicki, at the meet with MrArroyo and Volron)?

The ESW9 has a clearer mids and very nice highs. The triple.fi sounds warmer to me so some of the mids fall a little short of the ESW9. The bass of the triple.fi is a little bit better than the ESW9. It would depend on what sound you enjoy best to which you would like more. Out of the box the triple.fi is warmer and not as clear as the ESW9 while on busy bass tracks the ESW9 can seem to get muddy on you. I equate warmer to being not quite muddy but going in that direction.

Thank you very much. Do the ESW9 have the same amount of midbass as the Triple.fi, or (hopefully) less? Do the ESW9 have good soundstage (width, depth) and imaging?

The triple.fi seems to have a little less midbass. The soundstage to me is bigger with the ESW9s and it does have fairly good image but not like the big boys of the AT world.

Thank you very much. Do the ESW9 have the same amount of midbass as the Triple.fi, or (hopefully) less? Do the ESW9 have good soundstage (width, depth) and imaging?

The Triple.Fi is more sensitive to SS or Tube amplification. It seems they are turned for a very analytical signal which the ESW9 is less sensitive to its amplification. My Lavry DA10 makes the Triple.Fi sound better than my Yamamoto HA-02. But with regular headphones the Yamamoto HA-02 just out classes the Lavry DA10 headamp.

• 1 month later...
Guest username

ESW9 has bad coloration. Midbass/midrange sounds hollow. I don't know how to describe it but vocals did not sound as they should, and the bass was bloated.