Yamaha PF-800 turntable

swt61

So my Yamaha PF-800 turntable showed up today. It is indeed in near mint condition. The best example I've yet seen.

I've only just unpacked it and put it together, so no sonic impressions yet. I do think I'll leave this one stock, as I rather like the Black "Lord Vader" look.

yamahapf800001425x319fu8.jpg

yamahapf800002425x319ob2.jpg

yamahapf800003425x319is2.jpg

yamahapf800004425x319fg4.jpg

yamahapf800005425x319jo3.jpg

More to follow on this TT.

Will do. Right now I'm trying to determine what cartridge it came with, so I can set the tracking force and so on.

It's a Brown colored plastic cased Grado cartridge, and it has "G2" and "Grado" in raised gold letters on the front.

Anyone know what cartridge this is?

Does it look like this:

aa4f_1.JPG

There was another Yamaha on eBay somewhere that had one of these, and there are stylus replacements for Grado G2 and G2+ cartridges. I assume that is the name and maybe you can find info on tracking weight etc somewhere

EDIT:

Found some other bits. One guy on AudioKarma suggested 1.5 to 1.7 grams and the owner of the TT said he liked 1.7 after trying it out. Then, the Grado info at a site selling stylus said 1-2 grams according to Grado. It is also a moving iron cart, which is cool. Here is the site:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9321

Yes it's identical to that one.

I did just find out it is indeed called the G2, but I can't find any specs for it. I'd like to set the weight for the cartridge, and check tracking force etc...

I sent an email to Grado Labs, maybe they'll get back to me before too long.

So what little info I can find suggests starting at 1.5 grams. That's where the table was set, and I see that it doesn't easily slip from that adjustment, so that's where I'm going to start.

I'm getting music, but it's a bit sibilant, and too hot on the top end.

I'll refer to the manual and tweak from here.

Thanks 909.

The data base doesn't find anything for the G2, but I did confirm 1.5 grams from a good friend.

I've gone through the manual and tweaked everything...balance, tracking force, anti skate, speed and even adjusted the three spring loaded legs as described in the manual.

I'm playing an NOS pressing of The Honey Drippers, featuring Robert Plant, and it sounds fantastic! The adjustments made all the difference in the world. This is actually a pretty decent cartridge.

The table is quite nice indeed. I have plans on building my dream table, but this table and the Mitsubishi will suffice quite nicely until that project takes shape.

the cartridge database has specs on the Grado G2. just follow these three simple steps and you'll find it.

manufacturer: (select) Grado

model: (write in) G-2

click search database

yes, the VTF is 1.5 gm.

Hey sweet! Thanks again!

I had entered G2 instead of G-2.

OK I'm now feeding the phono stage into my Consonance integrated, and on to my Omega Grande Six/UFW10 subs combo.

This TT officially kicks ass! Man it's been quite some time since I've spun vinyl, and I'm definitely hooked again.

Also I had been using the TEC TC760LC, but I just switched to the Hagerman Bugle. The TEC is a nice unit, especially considering he price, but the Bugle rips it to shreds. Thanks Nate!