Next Step

laxx

So I have a thread going about what speakers I bought. They sound pretty good, but could be better (room conditions, other gear in use). 2009 is going to start off with more audio gear, but I'm not sure where to start.

I'll start this by listing the gear I'm currently using.

MHDT Constantine+ (coax) -> Onkyo Integrated (pre-out) -> JVC Laboratory M-7050 Power Amp -> AV123 X-Statiks

Cabling is just solid core silver from DAC to pre, starquad from pre to power. Zu Julian from power to speakers.

I'd like to replace the pre and power, but don't know which to start with. I'm thinking pre as the JVC power amp isn't supposed to be a bad amp at all. If I replace the pre first, I plan to bring the power amp to get serviced (checked out and cleaned).

If I replace the power amp first (pretty unlikely as I feel the JVC is no slouch and that it's probably the pre that's limiting my system right now), I'd bring the integrated to be serviced and cleaned so that when I do phase it out, I can give it to a friend to use.

So here's what I'm looking for. No preference to tubes or SS, just SQ.

1. Pre with remote

2. Power that can feed 8ohm 91db (shouldn't be too hard as long as I stay away from the single digit watt tube amps (?))

3. Is not a heater in disguise (both pre and power)

I guess a good way to describe what I want sonically is something with a somewhat "lush" midrange as I feel the X-Statiks are a bit thin sounding with my current gear. I'm pretty happy with the highs and bottom end, though if I were to have to choose, the bottom end could use a little help. The highs are a little out of control, but I've been told it's because my room is very active (fails the clap test horribly as it rings/echoes). But I'll be correcting it as best I can as a friend of mine is getting me some acoustic panels for Christmas, albeit late.

One piece of gear I've always wanted was a Stello DP200 (DAC+Pre w/ remote). I've thought about getting one and it would replace both the Constantine+ and the Onkyo, so that's basically a two-fer that betters both of what I have. It's just rare that you find one for sale on A-gon as they're discontinued.

Outside of the Stello, I have no idea what else to consider except what people own here.

Pre - Quicksilver remote linestage, Modwright 9.0SE

Power - Odyssey Stratos, ICEpower amps

That's all I can think of for now. I've thought about getting a Stratos (doesn't break the bank), and I'm planning to A/B them with a local guy who wants to try out the X-Statiks, so that would be pretty cool. He also has a Modwright 9.0SE pre, so even better (though the 9.0SE is more than I want to spend).

Oh, I have no problem buying used as it will make my money go a long way further. As for budget, I'm open to about $1k each, one at a time. And I'm willing to stretch the budget if I feel it's worthwhile; ie Stello DP200.

Any help would be appreciated!

Yeah, I agree -- start with the pre.

Musical Fidelity, A308, a3.2 or a5. I've heard that the X-PreV3 isn't bad, but it's already out of production, and I haven't heard it for myself. (I've only heard the a3 and the A308, but their sounds jived with my understanding of how the lineup went, so I believe the other two would fit where I expect them too.)

Jeez, too bad you missed out on this, that would have been my recommendation.

I would also look at Conrad Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not THRILLED with the sound now, your best bet is going to lie in swapping speakers and experimenting with positioning until you find the "right" sound. Some acoustic panels in the right reflection spots can ease listening fatigue quite a bit, especially in smaller rooms. Make sure you throw down a nice big rug (thick or w/ padding) if you have hard floors. Heck, try other rooms too if that's an option.

To me, the right pre/power combo is really the finishing touch (I hesitate to say "icing" because to me that's the most important part of the cake) once you've gotten the speaker/room issues hammered out. That Melos Gold makes a nice preamp; I had a "reference" modded unit that sounded quite superb in a system I had with either Tannoy Eyris DC3 or Taylo Reference monitors driven by a PS Audio HCA-2 (perhaps sounds somewhat similar to ice-power amp?). A Meridian G08 was my source at the time (vinyl's definitely better). The Melos was certainly a notch above the Sugden Headmaster in preamp & headphone capacity, and heck I think I preferred it to the BAT VK-5i too. For amps, I've had both expensive modern stuff (Sunfire Sig II, VAC Auricle, Parasound JC-1) and the good vintage stuff - in my mind you can't touch the vintage stuff for value. There are many great sub-$1000 (even sub-$600) vintage amps that I'd take over the modern amps I've listed (which still do sound good, with the exception of the Sunfire). Restored Eico and Heathkit stuff is usually great if your speakers are efficient enough to handle. The vintage McIntosh SS stuff is also a great value IMO, and usually beats its rated output.

Best speaker cables I've had are also the CHEAPEST - basically 50-75 cents/foot star quad does it for me.

What's your take on Melos preamps? I've always wanted a Melos SHA-Gold for some reason.

I wouldn't bother solely due to their build quality and rather lacking reliability.

Definitely demo the Modwright 9.0SE if you can, I absolutely love mine. It also pairs very well w/ ice power amps if you decide to go that route.

If you're not THRILLED with the sound now, your best bet is going to lie in swapping speakers and experimenting with positioning until you find the "right" sound. Some acoustic panels in the right reflection spots can ease listening fatigue quite a bit, especially in smaller rooms. Make sure you throw down a nice big rug (thick or w/ padding) if you have hard floors. Heck, try other rooms too if that's an option.

To me, the right pre/power combo is really the finishing touch (I hesitate to say "icing" because to me that's the most important part of the cake) once you've gotten the speaker/room issues hammered out. That Melos Gold makes a nice preamp; I had a "reference" modded unit that sounded quite superb in a system I had with either Tannoy Eyris DC3 or Taylo Reference monitors driven by a PS Audio HCA-2 (perhaps sounds somewhat similar to ice-power amp?). A Meridian G08 was my source at the time (vinyl's definitely better). The Melos was certainly a notch above the Sugden Headmaster in preamp & headphone capacity, and heck I think I preferred it to the BAT VK-5i too. For amps, I've had both expensive modern stuff (Sunfire Sig II, VAC Auricle, Parasound JC-1) and the good vintage stuff - in my mind you can't touch the vintage stuff for value. There are many great sub-$1000 (even sub-$600) vintage amps that I'd take over the modern amps I've listed (which still do sound good, with the exception of the Sunfire). Restored Eico and Heathkit stuff is usually great if your speakers are efficient enough to handle. The vintage McIntosh SS stuff is also a great value IMO, and usually beats its rated output.

Best speaker cables I've had are also the CHEAPEST - basically 50-75 cents/foot star quad does it for me.

I agree that speakers are the most important. There are just certain aspects that make me go blah when I listen. Until I move out, I don't have enough room between my sitting position and the speakers themselves. That's the biggest problem, but that's not the fault of the speakers. The only real fault of the speakers is that I'd like a bit more bottom end, but I knew that before I purchased them.

I need to try a different preamp to see if that's the source of my woes. I think it is, but shouldn't impulsively buy a pre without knowing for sure that's my problem.

I need to try a different preamp to see if that's the source of my woes. I think it is, but shouldn't impulsively buy a pre without knowing for sure that's my problem.

In the meantime why not try your headphone amp as a preamp - if it sounds much better then that Onkyo really is a bottleneck. If your headphone amp doesn't have pre outs then a cheap little 1/4" -> stereo RCA jack adapter from Radioshack should do the trick. Any good headphone amp should do a pretty decent job in preamp duty. Just be careful to keep the volume LOW at first and go up SLOWLY from there since the gain of headphone amps tends to be much higher and you could drive your power amp to clipping otherwise.