Any thoughts on the AKG 270P (270 Playback)??

runnin17

So I am in the market for some closed headphones. I have heard grado's and like them, have heard AKG'S and like them.

Read a few forum posts on HF and ran across the AKG 270P's. Since I have a pair of Sextett's and I like them, I thought maybe the 270P's might be a good fit.

However, I trust the opinions on this forum a lot more than the stuff I read over at that "other" forum.

So has anyone heard the AKG K270 Playback's? Anyone own a pair?

I listen to a lot of different types of music, but I would use my closed cans for rock, hip-hop, and the occasional jazz session. Any opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

AKG K270 Playback is a great choice if you already like the Sextett-style vintage AKG sound, just make sure you don't get the way more common K270 Studio (K270P has silver trim rings like the Sextett, the K270S is all black). I don't know jack shit 'bout no hip-hop, but they were quite nice with most rock and jazz.

The Equation Audio RP-21 is also an incredibly good closed phone for the money, if you have trouble finding a K270, but I don't remember it well enough to try to compare it to the K270.

• 1 month later...

I have the K270 Playback now for a couple of weeks, and I really like them.

Certainly better than the K271,and a lot of other closed headphones.

Great AKG mids, and the treble, bass and soundstage aren't bad either.

Comfort can be a issue though. The either clamp too much when you have a big head, or they are too loose when you have a small head.

I had to remove the elastics in order to get rid of the tight fit on my big head.

I bought mine on a Dutch tradingsite for 40 Euro, which is 50 USD. Plus new earpads. Well worth the costs.