Soundcards -- Asus?

Dusty Chalk

So I'm slowly putting together a computer, and I'm thinking about the soundcard, and I read this blurb in the lastest "Maximum PC" about the Asus Xonar Essence STX, which claims one of the highest SNR (124dB) I've ever seen on a card (yes, yes, I know you can't hear it, whatever) -- anyone familiar with this card or with this line of cards? Looking through NewEgg, they have others that they claim have low noise floor/high SNR (E.G. Asus Xonar DX). Any other recommendations? HT Omega seems to be rated pretty highly over there, too.

Familiar only from what I have read, but the Essence STX seems to be just about as good as you will get in a PC soundcard for music listening. all the critical stuff is controlled by relays, well shielded, headphone amp based around TPA6120A2, switchable OPAMPs......

Sure, it might not beat a proper audiophile desktop, but for the money it is pretty compelling. If I used a desktop PC, I would sure as hell buy one.

:)
Looks awesome and the 1792A is a sweet chip. If you get one I'll love to hear it.
Yes, definitely. Won't be any time soon, though. Need to get things like power supply and CPU first, I think. (Unless it goes on sale, in which case I'll temporarily put it into one of my other computers.)