Planars?

flecom

I was looking at building a pair of speakers and was thinking about doing something a bit wacky... has anyone heard the planars they sell on parts express? those Bohlender Graebener ones... either the smaller ones or the insanely large ones?

ex. Parts-Express.com - Search Results

i found a few projects online using the smaller Neo-8 in both single and line-array configurations... and then all sorts of insane projects using the RD75 75" planar driver with line arrays of larger drivers next to them etc...

anyone ever actually listen to any of these things? lol

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Well you just got me interested in building speakers. Damn you.

hehe... it seems like a really good deal considering how expensive the speakers these drivers are found in...

i just wish i could listen to them before i consider buying some of the larger more expensive drivers

My current speakers use the Neo3, sound fantastic... got them for a steal too. Talked to the designer and apparently a new model is coming out soon.

Acculine Owners Thread - AVS Forum

Too bad I can't take these beauties to school with me. If I can come up with something cheaper than the Monsoon speakers I might be looking at a build (have a t amp coming anyway). The floor space of the Monsoons are pretty fantastic though.

well i picked up a pair of the Bohlender Graebener Neo8-PDR Planar Transducers to play with... figure worse case scenario im out $125

700hz-20khz is pretty impressive... lets see if it sounds as impressive as the reviews make them out to be :)

from what i have read online most people either run them naked - in a dipole configuration... or in a small cabinet (the datasheet measurements were made with a 6x6xlength of the driver enclosure)

there are a few projects online that use the giant RD75 drivers along with some larger drivers in a line-array configuration next to the planar driver... like this parts express project...

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=Colossi

there are some designs (including commercial ones) that use the RD8's in a line array configuration... im going to see what they sound like coupled with my existing speakers...

if they sound good im thinking coupling it with an 8 or 10" (non subwoofer) driver in a sealed enclosure with this planar mounted above it, either in its own enclosure or naked in a diplole configuration as some have suggested online also... but im wondering about strange reflections and interactions doing that...

if i do end up doing that 2-way config im going to use my macintosh 2105 to run the woofers, and my macintosh 2505 to drive the planars... should be pretty sweet