Garbage disposal & power conditioning

socrates63

My main PC and audio rig in the home is located in the masters which is above the kitchen. Whenever the garbage disposal is turned on, my Link DAC III goes mad and makes several clicking sounds in rapid succession (mechanical switch on/off, correct?).

Other than relocating my equipment to a different room, is there a financially reasonable (under $500) solution? Would something like PS Audio Duet work for me or do I need a full blown active power conditioning?

Garbage disposal is a high current draw/high switching transient load. For less than $500 you should be able to get an electrician (if you are not inclined that way) to run a dedicated, homerun power circuit from the breaker panel to your gear and have him put the new circuit breaker on the phase/leg that the disposal is not on.

It just occurred to me that the power ckt/circuit breaker your system is on could be on the same bus/phase but hopefully not the same actual ckt as your disposal. Again, if you are not comfortable doing this, hire a pro, but it may be as simple as switching the location of the ckt breaker in the panel to different phase/bus bar.

The pro can do what I am talking about for just the cost of a service call. I have a Toroid Corp powervar type device that is hospital grade. I have my head rig plugged into it. I can hear the thyristor switching in my floor lamp that is on the same ckt. :mad: I don't think the powervar will solve your problem but if you get one, make sure you can return it. Cheers!