eMusic mess

CarlSeibert

I am going to cancel after I use these 50 credits I have. Used to be able to buy a 1 song album for one credit, now it is 12 credits minimum per album - which applies to much of the stuff I saved for later. It would have been cheaper to buy some bonus credits and clean out my saved list last month, and cancel then!

To clarify, it's 12 credits for a 6 or 8 song album so you can get the last song. You can't just buy that song for 4 credits or any other price.

Ironically, eMusic, when they trying to sell their price increase as a great deal, tried to claim the 12-credit album pricing would be a great boon for jazz and classical fans. Right. Jazz albums often being only five or six songs. I agree with Dusty, it would be one thing to charge more for a 20 minute symphonic track. But holding out the signature song on an pop album - the one that most people who are only interested in one track would go for - is just scummy.

Uncompressed music, at least most of the sort of stuff I buy, on physical CDs no less, is running about $7 an album including shipping on Amazon New and Used now. Even if eMusic hadn't turned to sleaze, they wouldn't make much sense at the new prices.

-Carl

• 1 year later...