JMW 12.5 Tonearm

shaizada

Hey guys,

The rig has landed. Now, I am completely overwhelmed by this thing.

I've put up the basic pieces, and the motor is spinning the platter fine. Now comes the arm.

The cartridge is pre-mounted on the arm. The issue is that the arm seems to be tilted inwards a bit. I'm trying to read the manual, but I'm just not going to get anywhere by myself. I'm extremely wanting to learn this stuff, but I need some sort of guide / teacher.

Is there anyone in the Southern California region who would like to help me at my place? Dinner's on me! Great Indian food or maybe something else.

Basically I want to make sure all the settings are correct before the first time the needle gets dropped. You have no idea how much torture it is to see such a piece sitting right here and my inability to play a record.

Helpppppp please!

I'm home all this week so anytime would be great....I'll work with your schedue :)

the vpi arms mount on an incredibly sharp tip (I know as I have inadvertently speared my self) and the armwand cup has a lip that can make you think you are in the center cup. Please check that first to make absolutely sure you are in the center of the armwand, if so then ensure that the cable the comes out of the top of the armwand is not twisted in a way that will make it tilt.

I'm in NorCal so no house call soon, but I'll be down in mid July if you are still having troubles. If you got the mounting jig with the table I would double check the cart install.

Do you have a way to check VTF I would also check thisn prior to spinning a record as if the counterweight moved in transit it could be way off. The VPI manual is pretty good and if you have not read this I would encourage that.

All of this stuff is not rocket science, contrary to what most audio dealers would have you believe. I have heard good things about the Fremer DVD and at $30 it may not be a bad investment. Vinyl takes a little up front knowledge but after about a month of playing around you'll have all the basic skills you need.

I've read the manual a couple of times. I have a basic understanding of what needs to be done. However, the actual act of doing it kinda scares me :) I get a little worried because I don't want to do ANYTHING stupid near that cartridge. I promise you, I can't afford to replace that cartridge for quite some time now as I am financially spent after all of this stuff!

If I see someone working on it once, that is all I would need to keep myself going with some basic setup skills. The arm seems incredibly easy to do adjustments on. Yet, I'm very concerned about doing it right the first time.

I have a hard time "experimenting" with a $5k cartridge pre-mounted on the damn thing.

Oh no!! I didn't read ANYTHING in your post that I found offensive. Please DON'T feel that way.

I'm trying to re-read my post to see what I said that made you think that? hmm

Ohhhhh its the last line probably where I said "experimenting". No dude...that's just my own personal thoughts and the horrid feeling that I might break off the whole cantilever by doing something stupid like a vinyl newbie.

Even if I don't have any problems with the setup, I would love to have you over 7/15 for a listening session, if you would accept. You are most welcome at my place anytime.

Think of it this way... That cartridge didn't cost you $5K, and it's doubtfully worth $5K on the used market... There, does that help?

The same cartridge is $2k on audiogon right now. Even that is a little too much for me.

Either way, it doesn't detract from the fact that I shouldn't do anything stupid with it. I would be JUST as careful if it were a $500 cartridge...there is no excuse for silly carelessness on my part. I hope you're catching my drift.

Ok I've ordered the DVD.

Plus, I've been reading like crazy and I've managed to spin some records successfully. Plus, now I have a few VPI enthusiasts coming over to my place to fine tune. I think I should be pretty well set by the end of the weekend.

Quite the learning experience for me this arm!

~Gaurav