AV amp headphone jack socket question?

Headphone Dreamer LD

Hi Guys,

Now the following enquiry may come accross as being something silly, but I would greatly appreciate your help!:confused:

So here goes:palm:

When I finally purchase my first headphone amp, how should I connect this to an AV amp that already has a headphone input socket.

When plugging in headphones the external speakers, ''as you all know'' cut off and the sound automatically goes through the headphones

I currently have a Denon AVC A1SE, of which I intend to keep hold of, so do I place a headphone jack adaptor in the socket, and connect the headphone amp into the analogue inputs, unless the amp has Digital Coax / or fiber optic....will this be correct.

This is a new area for me ''to be honest'' so please be gentle with me :rolleyes::palm:

I shall look forward to hearing from yourselves at your convenience.

Humble Regards to all

P.S. The Lexicon MC12B & LX7 amp that I shall be taking delivery of in November, is straight forward to connect...as no headphone socket.

You don't want to use the headphone socket - just ignore that it is there. You want to use a Rec-Monitor or other line-level RCA output that isn't affected by the volume control of the amp. You will probably need to mute the speakers when you listen with headphones.

[EDIT] Looking at your particular unit, I suspect you should hook up to one of the Tape audio outs.

Hi Beefy,

Thanks ever so much for clarifying this for myself...appreciate your time.

A great deal of the guys on this site, their Headphone, amp AV and HiFi knowledge is very high....and so reassures myself that I will get the best out of what I aim to purchase, advice, ect.....

Thanks again

P.S. Have learnt a lot since joining this site.

A great deal of the guys on this site, their Headphone, amp AV and HiFi knowledge is very high....and so reassures myself that I will get the best out of what I aim to purchase, advice, ect.....

Just remember that there are many different ways to skin a cat ;)

Depending on the amp you buy, you might find that you get good results from the Front Pre-Out, which would allow you to use the remote control for your receiver to control the volume. Experiment and see for yourself.

To echo/restate what beefy said.

You headphone amp will take line level inputs. So you will want to connect line level outputs from your Denon to the line level inputs of your headphone amp.

Sometimes you can have variable line level outs (where the volume control on the Denon controls the volume on the outputs). you probably don't want that.

You want fixed level outputs (volume control on Denon has no effect on volume of output always full output) - as that's what the volume control on the headphone amp is for :)

Then the final part is muting the speaker output when using headphones, without muting the headphone output - the correct fixed level output should get you what you want.

I trust you still have the manual, so you know what all of these

rear.jpg

do ;)

I'd start with the red and white ones labeld "OUT" ;D

Grahame,

Wow!......Thank you!.... I wasn't expecting this from anyone, so your time and effort in replying is much appreciated.

Yourself and Beefy have helped me to understand this better.

My system is currently not in an ideal setup stage, as I have to purchase 2 AV stands to house all of my equipment correctly.

All of this has been a 11 1/2 year journey of which has been TOUGH!

The day this is all housed properly will be very emotional time for me.

Thanks again

P.S. Yes I have the manual for the amp, and the Headphone Amp ''when purchased'' will have good instructions.