M3 vs. Millett

Bob_McBob

I currently have a Millett Hybrid as my main headphone amp, and I'm considering switching to an nicely speced M3. I would probably have to sell the Millett to finance the M3, but I don't think it would be a significant financial outlay beyond that. I know people here and on head-fi have a pretty high opinion of the M3, and think perhaps somewhat less of the Millett (I have heard it described as a "fun" amp especially with Grados). The real issue is that I don't have the oppertunity to compare the two before I do this, so I would definitely appreciate some comments from you guys before I proceed.

The Millett has fairly nice components. Here is what the builder says: "tread (27v), vishay dale 1/4w resistors, wima film caps, nichicon upw electrlytic caps, buf634s, nobel black beauty pot (10k)". I also have DDBs that I have unfortunately never heard with the amp because they were destroyed in shipping (currently being repaired). I use 12FK6 tubes. The M3 I would have somewhat better speced components, such as steps for the psu.

My setup at the moment consists of RS-1s and UM2s, and an iPod/line-out as my source (yeah yeah...). I realize I should probably be upgrading other components, but I have the oppertunity to get the M3 pretty cheaply right now, and I am quite keen on taking it if it would be an upgrade. I feel it would probably be a better amp than the Millett to have as the basis for a system. In the future I plan to get a nice DAC and run everything from the computer, though it will take some time to save for that. I will probably also end up adding some other headphones for more variety (perhaps Senns or Beyers).

What do you guys think? Go for it right away? Save my money? Get something different (Dynahi?)? Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

I didn't particularly care for my M3 with my Grados, but then again I didn't care for it much with my Senns, either. Mine was pretty well configured with a STEPS. I tried with opamps at both ends of the spectrum (8610's & 627's) and could never get into it. I preferred my PPA v2 + STEPS for my Senns (or Grados with flats), and loved my Millett+STEPS+db with my Grados with bowls. There was just never a time I really wanted to listen to the M3. I appreciate that it has better technical specs than the Millett, but to my ears, it was no contest with the Grados.

My advice would be to keep the Millett for a while and save up for something that would be a big step up like the Ear+HD. That amp has some real magic with the Grados.

Millet to M3 is IMO only a small upgrade at best that's not really worth it, especially with RS-1. To me the META, PPA, and M3 series of amps work better with Senns and don't get along quite as well with Grados. I'm in agreement with en480c4, save up for a while longer and then splurge on a high-end tube amp.

Okay, the general consensus is that the M3 probably isn't much of an upgrade for me. I checked out the Ear+HD, and it is pretty nifty, but at $500-600 probably out of the range I'd like to pay for an amp. I am definitely open to suggestions for other amps, as well as persuasion to buy the Ear+HD... >:D

My 2?:

1. Get the DB's fixed and installed. They are far superiour to any of the SS buffers IMO and definitely better than the BUF634s.

2. Put some better quality caps at C2 and C7. These caps are directly in the audio path and UPW's are probably not the best sounding cap. Look into something like the Elna Silmic II's or Cerafines or Nichicon Muse KZ's.

3. Replace the output resistors R4 with something other than the Vishay's. It's cheap and my ears tell me that it makes a difference. Look at either Kiwame, PRP or Holco.

The parts cost of these last two mods should be less than $20, installation is another story alltogether. But if you've already got someone working on the amp (fixing the DBs) maybe you could roll it all into one session?

Also, I'm not in the same camp as en480c4 and aerius. I still think that a maxed M3 is a better amp than the Millett and it's no secret that I'm a pretty big Millett fan. But the Millett can be brought pretty close the the performance level of the M3 and with the Grados may in fact be more "fun".

Best of luck,

Nate

Upgrading parts on the Millett board probably isn't a real option since the builder is in the US and the cost of sending it back and forth is prohibitive. The DDBs are small drop-in parts, so easy to install (and cheap to mail). I am competent enough to do that, bias the tubes, etc., but I have never used a soldering iron beyond reflowing a few points, and I don't think I'd like to learn on an already nicely working amp.

I agree that a nice M3 is probably better than a Millett, but based on conversations with various people, it is probably a better idea to go for something that's a real step up. I am giving some serious consideration to the Ear+HD mentioned earlier in the thread (apparently it is wonderful with Grados), but it is rather expensive. On the plus side the builder lives in Ontario, so I would not have to deal with international shipping and customs crap. I am looking for other suggestions for amps of a similar level. I had a look through the big list of DIY amps on head-wize, and the only one that jumped out at me was the Dynahi, and that would probably end up costing just as much as the Ear+HD.

I am definitely going to wait and hear how my Millett sounds when I finally get the DDBs back before making any decision on upgrading amps.

If you go the tube amp route, you could also talk to Mikhail from Singlepower about a PPX (or look for one in the FS threads her or at Head-Fi).

I haven't heard the EAR amp, but a number of people have good things to say about it. The PPX is more expensive, but you get your money's worth for sure.

Upgrading parts on the Millett board probably isn't a real option since the builder is in the US and the cost of sending it back and forth is prohibitive.

I understand but just remember that a chain is never stronger than its weakest link, and those UPW's are probably the weak link in your amp right now along with the buffers. Changing one is good but won't yield as much gain as if you changed both. Otherwise the Ear+ is a fantastic amp.