holy christ Demon's Souls is incredible

Chekhonte

This is probably the best game I've played on the PS3 so far. It's challenging and very rewarding to play. It feels like the old kings field games on the ps1 but way more polished and refined. As a warning I'll tell you that it's very hard and you'll die a lot. If you're easily frustrated by games like ninja gaiden on the xbox then you'll probably throw your controller a couple of times.

• 2 weeks later...

The last ultra-tough RPG I played was Evil Islands, quite a few years ago I might add. That was a blast - seriously hard and required intelligence at every step, and also emphasized stealth elements (every character could stealth regardless of class and had to), but cut out anything that was unnecessarily annoying - autosaves that you couldn't go back from, being needlessly punished for dying, being stuck because you forgot to do something at an earlier point, etc. It basically treated every encounter like a puzzle and then let you sit back and solve it, without ignoring some rudimentary twitch skill and typical RPG tweakery in the process. It was fantastic. But if you left your brain at the door you wouldn't get past the tutorial.

I will probably try this, but from the review above it sounds like it will be annoying rather than difficult. There's nothing that I hate more than a game putting in an annoying unnecessary mechanic just to keep a player on his toes. Hopefully this is not what this game is all about.