Paging all SinglePower experts

humanflyz

The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't really want an Omega 2 setup, and all the RS-1 loving has really got to me, so now my target is on a RS-1 setup. I'm set on getting a Singlepower amp to mate with the RS-1s, so this thread is to get some good info.

1) I'm going to get a MPX3 as the base, with octal tube sockets for maximum flexibility.

2) Gain tube: So far I know you can use the 6SN7, 7n7, 7af7, and their 12/14v variants. I'm a bit wary of using the 6SN7 since good NOS 6SN7 are expensive as hell. And also, what does the 12v option do to the sound? If I get it, does that mean I can no longer use the 6v variants?

3) Output: I'm pretty much set on either the 6bl7 or the 6bx7, although I'm not sure what the differences between them are, or if they can be substituted for each other.

4) Bias/voltage: From what I understand, in order to run the 6bl7/6bx7, you gotta bias the tubes higher and run them at higher voltage. Is the regular MPX transformer enough for this, or do I need to install a Supra or Piltron transformer?

5) Pre-amp: I want to add a pre-amp option so I can use this to drive my power amp for my K1000s if I choose. My question is, how decent will it be?

I'm no SinglePower expert but the PPX3-SLAM is the best I've heard the RS-1 sound. I can only imagine the MPX3 sounding great as well.

And yeah I was thinking of getting one with preamp option as well, I made a thread about it here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199141

$120 is a pretty cheap addon for a preamp.

I think RS-1 and K1000 would be a nice contrasting combination.

1) That's what I would do especially since you plan to use 6bl7 and 6bx7's as output tubes.

2) Personally I still prefer the 6sn7's but getting the 12v does not mean you can't use 6v tubes anymore.

3) The 6bl7 and 6bx7 are direct replacements for each other

4) You don't need to run the bl7 or bx7s at higher voltage or higher bias but they do sound better if you do. Yes the MPX3 transformer will be enough.

5) I think it would make an excellent pre-amp.

2. The 12V option does nothing (in and of itself to the sound). However the 12V tubes in some cases can run quieter and such (are are cheaper generally than their 6V counterparts. As far as using 6 or 12V tuybes goes, it depends how he does the amp. Just make sure you tell him what you want (6/12V gain and 6/12V outputs; 6/12V gain and 6V outputs, etc....).

3. The 6BX7s are a more neutral/clean sounding tube than the BL7s. They are both octal and can be run hard, but which one to use just depends on preferences and synergy.

4. The regular MPX3 transformer is fine for this/

Since you mention that you want a pre-amp out to drive power amps for the K1000, there might actually be another way to do this. I believe 5687 just got his transformer output Singlepower built up, this would allow a low impedance output tap for driving Grados and a medium to high impedance output tap to provide the higher voltage swings required for the K1000.

It should be possible since my own DIY amp which uses output transformers and 6SN/BL/BX7 output tubes can drive the K1000 pretty well. I tried out the K1000 on my amp at a meet and I was quite happy with the sound.

Since you mention that you want a pre-amp out to drive power amps for the K1000, there might actually be another way to do this. I believe 5687 just got his transformer output Singlepower built up, this would allow a low impedance output tap for driving Grados and a medium to high impedance output tap to provide the higher voltage swings required for the K1000.

It should be possible since my own DIY amp which uses output transformers and 6SN/BL/BX7 output tubes can drive the K1000 pretty well. I tried out the K1000 on my amp at a meet and I was quite happy with the sound.

Thanks for the info man, but the pre-amp is not the number one priority on my list, because I plan to just run my DAC directly to the power amp. The pre-amp on the Singlepower will just be used when I feel like adding in the sound signature of the SP amps.

If it helps, I'm getting an MPX3 SE modded so it can run 6528 tubes with about 5a of current for my K1000, the mods to the psu are about 500. Try asking SP about it if you're curious.

Thanks, but I'm not going to use the MPX to drive my K1000s, it'll be used just to drive regular headphones.

Yes that's what the 6528s are for, they have a ton of current which is the most important thing for the K1000 rather than wattage.

I'll be able to just swap the tubes back to regular tubes for normal headphones too, it just seems more convinient than getting a power amp too. :P

Yup, definitely more convenient. But I think a power amp would be better if you really really really love your K1000s, which I do. So for me, the power amp is worth that last whatever extra percentage you get.

Yes that's what the 6528s are for, they have a ton of current which is the most important thing for the K1000 rather than wattage.

I'll be able to just swap the tubes back to regular tubes for normal headphones too, it just seems more convinient than getting a power amp too. :P

"wattage" (power) is directly related to current: I^2*R.

You can't have one without the other.

Guest sacd lover

What do you guys think .... overkill?

Those are 6528A power tubes.

Imagine the bass response!

If I put these in my Supra the amp will be the most powerful dedicated headamp in existance .... even run OTL. But, because I never know when to quit, I am going to add a switch to choose between OTL and custom plitron output transformers. With transformer coupling the amp will be 5x or so more powerful than in OTL operation.

Picture001-6.jpg

Picture003-4.jpg

Picture002-5.jpg

Guest sacd lover

The more I think about, the more I realize that I don't really want an Omega 2 setup, and all the RS-1 loving has really got to me, so now my target is on a RS-1 setup. I'm set on getting a Singlepower amp to mate with the RS-1s, so this thread is to get some good info.

1) I'm going to get a MPX3 as the base, with octal tube sockets for maximum flexibility.

2) Gain tube: So far I know you can use the 6SN7, 7n7, 7af7, and their 12/14v variants. I'm a bit wary of using the 6SN7 since good NOS 6SN7 are expensive as hell. And also, what does the 12v option do to the sound? If I get it, does that mean I can no longer use the 6v variants?

3) Output: I'm pretty much set on either the 6bl7 or the 6bx7, although I'm not sure what the differences between them are, or if they can be substituted for each other.

4) Bias/voltage: From what I understand, in order to run the 6bl7/6bx7, you gotta bias the tubes higher and run them at higher voltage. Is the regular MPX transformer enough for this, or do I need to install a Supra or Piltron transformer?

5) Pre-amp: I want to add a pre-amp option so I can use this to drive my power amp for my K1000s if I choose. My question is, how decent will it be?

1) Wise choice .... with the octal sockets you can use 6sn7/6bl7gt/6bx7gt without adpaters. Add adapters and you can use the 6cg7/6gu7/7af7/7n7. I am experimenting with the 5687 (5687/7044/7119) series for gain and they work equally well as gain tubes.

2) If you get the 12 volt option you can use the amp at 6 volts like normal or go to 12 operation. 12 volt operation is quieter and all the good 6 volt tubes are available in 12 volt form .... 6cg7/ 6fq7 =12fq7, 6sn7gt=12sn7gt, 7af7= 14af7, 7n7= 14n7. The main advantage to 12 volt operation is the tubes are much cheaper. You can buy the same RCA 12sn7 clear glass, for example that is $50-75 in 6 volt form for $6-8.

3) The 6bl7gt/a and 6bx7gt are direct subs for one another. Thier specs are almost the same. the 6bx7gt has slightly less gain .... but that about the only difference.

4) You need to bias the tubes with more current and/ or raise the voltage to get the 6bl7gt/6bx7gt tubes to sound linear. For the best results I think high voltage is the key. I have both a voltage and bias switch on my amp and raising the voltage is when the tubes really blossom. But, they definitely sound better even with more bias current only. Get the high voltage switch and add a tad more bias current than normal and you are set. Furthermore, Mikhail redesigned the mpx power supply. You can now use the amp at up to 412 volts with a mpx3 transformer .... you dont need to upgrade the transformer now.

5) The preamp option is excellent if you have a good gain match with your preamp. With all the tubes available now you should be able to use a good lower gain tube, like a 5687, without problems.

Guest sacd lover

Is the voltage switch standard on the MPX SLAM SE?

Yes ... but not the bias switch. But after getting the bias switch I realize I could have lived without one.