HiFiMAN HM-801

mrarroyo

I am also impressed with the HM-801's sound, and I posted a similar wish-list review as yours in my 801. The HM-602 wasn't an option for me because I wanted the 24/96 playback. The 801 is especially good with my ES3X and HD800 and reminds me a bit of the Slim when using those phones, but with more power (and worse volume control).

I didn't realize the 32Gb limit is a hardware limitation. I assumed a future software update would allow higher capacity cards. Doh, that sucks! I already had about 50 Gb of FLAC music split between 16 bit and 24 bit, which I saved even though I had converted it all to ALAC for iTunes and my iMod. I have an additional 80 Gb of ALAC that I ripped myself that I could convert to FLAC, but I don't have enough SD storage right now.

I wish there were an easy way to mod the HM-801 to have the USB input go straight to I2S. But since the PCM1704 does not have a native I2S input, it would not be a simple endeavor.

I would've preferred that the HM-801 have a staight to I2S USB input rather than USB to PCM2706 and SPDIF input.

The upcoming HM-602 looks like it will have a better USB input implementation, but it uses a different DAC chip.

I am also impressed with the HM-801's sound, and I posted a similar wish-list review as yours in my 801. The HM-602 wasn't an option for me because I wanted the 24/96 playback. The 801 is especially good with my ES3X and HD800 and reminds me a bit of the Slim when using those phones, but with more power (and worse volume control).

I think the HM-602 will support 24/96 playback, but it's internally upsampled.

I have spent more time w/ the HM-801 and I have to say I am very impressed with its sound. The delivery is IMO very accurate, clear, involving, musical, etc. etc. etc.

However, it is a device that demands knowledge on the part of the user in order to use it and enjoy it. For an old fart who has only used iTunes it is very cumbersome to use the HM-801 due to file conversion from ALAC to FLAC plus the need to buy 32GB SDHC Kingston cards. This may be no problems to many or just minor inconveniences, but to me it will be a deal breaker which is sad because it sounds so darn good. I may change my mind but do not hold your breath.

If anyone has any suggestions/questions or improvements please let me know.

I do believe lack of ALAC is the biggest issue I have next to the short battery life. I used MAX to convert about 25 of my favorite 16/44 albums from ALAC to FLAC, which barely fit on an 8GB SD card. My other two 8GB SD cards are filled with 15 of my favorite 24/96 albums which were already in FLAC when I downloaded them. The 801 is being used in my bed-side rig in place of my iRiver optical out > Headroom Micro Stack, and it's freed up a bit of space on my bedside table.

As for having an interface to put music to the 801, when I have a chance I am going to see if the "Double Twist" music app for Mac will put music on the 801's memory cards. That is IF it is compatible with FLAC. I know I can use it to send MP3 music to another device, with an iTunes-like interface for listening to that music, and it can import my iTunes playlists.

Larry if you can make the "Double Twist" I would be interested since it would take care of one of my issues. Currently I converted a bunch of ALAC songs to FLAC using an older Dell PC but I lost a lot of the information like pictures! The HM-801 sounds GREAT! Thanks.

Larry if you can make the "Double Twist" I would be interested since it would take care of one of my issues. Currently I converted a bunch of ALAC songs to FLAC using an older Dell PC but I lost a lot of the information like pictures! The HM-801 sounds GREAT! Thanks.

Using Fluke 2.5 lets me play FLAC in Double Twist natively (as well as quicktime) if they are in your main "Music" folder in your home directory. When I created the playlists for these FLAC files within Double Twist I had to drag the songs into the playlist in the right order manually. But then I could sync the playlists to the 801 easily (but not individual songs, they had to be in a playlist to sync). If you only use the 801 to play "albums" and not play music in folders on the SD card, then you could put all your FLAC in one playlist and sync that one playlist. (you can google "Fluke FLAC" and find the free fluke application) Double Twist also creates an .m3u playlist, although I think the 801 uses CUE playlists while my old windows mobile phone used .m3u playlists.

But dragging the FLAC files onto the Fluke application will import the FLAC into iTunes, where you can play and organize them. I ended up first importing the FLAC into iTunes, and creating playlists for each album in iTunes for them. Then I imported those playlists into double twist. I was then able to sync the playlists into HM-801 with double twist and listen to them on the 801. I thought that importing the playlists from iTunes would be easier. But the music in the sync'd folders was played in alphabetical order by the 801 because the songs had their track number removed by iTunes. I had to play music as "albums" from the 801 main menu instead of viewing the music folders on the SD card and playing it from there - not a big deal unless you are listening to a mix or compilation of various songs stored in one folder, which aren't on the same album.

This was because I had previously programed iTunes to removed song numbers from the file name when I import them, so my FLACs went into the iTunes Music Folder with no track numbers. I had run a terminal command that I found on the web a while back that would have iTunes remove song numbers; but I forget what the command was, or why I felt the need to not have track numbers back then. So, in my case I will likely just keep the FLAC files in their own folder inside my home "Music" folder, and create the FLAC playlists within Double Twist for syncing. iTunes is easier to make playlists in, and if your copy of iTunes doesn't strip out track numbers then I would import the FLAC into iTunes, make playlists, and then import that into Double Twist.

The problem is that you still see the Mac invisible directory files on the 801 display, and I needed to use a utility to view the invisible files and remove most of them (but not the .Trashes file, and the spotlight files are still in the .Trashes folder). I am going to try downloading Blue Harvest 4 and see if that works to keep the invisible files away from the SD card.

Voltron......I donno, just signing up, i use jammm3 on twitter and on the element forum, and I listen to a lot of jamrock so it seemed kinda apprapo. Think i spelled that wrong. Put my same pict up so you guys would know anyway.;)

Quick edit to add about the 801 that I have had less than a month now. There are admittedly some inconveniences but the sound quality is really unequalled for my ears. I bought them to pair with my JH13s, which i do like but of the two items, if i had to choose, i would take the 801 in a heart beat. That is how good I think it sounds, wish i had bought it a year ago.

I have lived with the unit for an additional couple of weeks. In that time a couple of developments have come a reality. First I have learned how to use some of the features like the equalizer including the user selectable and a new smaller and sleeker power supply has been released for the HM-801.

During this time I have come to appreciate the improvements in sound this unit offers over the iPod and the iPhone. We all talk about musicality and it is a hard item to describe to those who may not have the opportunity to listen to the gear in question. Perhaps the best explanation is that it is the unit I go to when I am in the mood to listen to good music. There are other accolades and adjectives that I could use but they would not provide the listening experience that this unit is capable of. To that effect I have spoken to a fellow member (Carl) and we will try to have an small mini meet with others (Dom and Vicky) and hopefully they will chime in with their experience with the unit.

Of the wishes I wrote above the biggest one for me is a carrying case, followed by car charger. The second “wish item” is somewhat less of an issue following the newer and smaller charger that was recently added.

BTW, for those who may argue that the HM-801 is a bit large ... well it is but when you carry an iPod w/ a LOD and an amp you are at about the same size and the sound is nowhere as involving and satisfying.

One of the tests I conducted during this period was to feed my home stereo with the HM-801 and an iPod Classic. I used a Kimber copper mini to RCA to feed a Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver which in turn was feeding a pair of Time Windows 1A speakers. The music was courtesy of Peter White’s Glow album in lossless (ALAC and FLAC) How was the comparison? There wasn’t, the HM-801 was so much better than the iPod Classic that neither my wife nor I could stand listening to the iPod for more than one song.

Next I will be using the HM-801 as a DAC/Amp with a computer as the source. I also wish to compare w/ an iModded iPod in the near future. Thanks for reading this and also thanks to Fang for loaning me the unit.

Note: For pictures please go to: Picasa Web Albums - 10943715404801124... - HiFiMAM HM-801

Did you get Fluke and Double Twist working together to play and sync FLAC files to the HM-801?

I'm going to bring the HM-801 with me to the CO meet so other people can try it out as well, with two 8Gb SD with 7-8 albums each in 24/96, and one 8Gb with 16/44 FLAC (about 25 albums). I'll be bringing a nice Soloz 12-strand Litz-braid copper mini-RCA IC, plus I'll have the coax to mini jack adapter so people can hook it up to their CD or DVD players as a S/PDIF Coax DAC.

I have not tried it yet Larry. However I am thinking of getting Amarra which it may play FLAC directly, need to research that option a bit.

Amarra wont sync FLAC to your 801 will it? Double Twist and Fluke are both free, and you'd only need them in order to sync your FLAC or MP3 files to the 801. It just happens to also let you listen to the files on your Mac too.

• 4 months later...