Custom built PC

I've had in mind for a while to build myself a decent gaming PC (~1000$) and I've started researching on the subject today. After a few hours of reading, I have to say I'm still clueless about which hardware to choose and I'm fucking overwhelmed by the amount of information, reviews and discussion out there.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any reliable forums with something like "build of the week" or a regularly updated website that recommends PC components?

I'll be ordering all my stuff online (probably from NCIX) and I don't feel like taking a shot in the dark and ordering hardware based on the reviews there, but at the same time I have no interest in reading thousands of discussions on overclocking forums, so I'm kind of stuck right now. :confused:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that's the kind of guide I was looking for. I was thinking too about going i5, but then I started looking at AMD chips which are quite a bit cheaper. Any significant advantage for going with Intel?

You should be able to build an i5 system for under $1000 (as linked in the article), but you're right with AMD you can go a lot cheaper. The Athlon II X3 440 is a terrific performer for how cheap they are. But around the Core i5-750 price range there is nothing from AMD in that price bracket that can beat it. I'm going by US prices though.

Take a look at tom's hardware build your own series

Build Your Own - Tom's Hardware

Building your own computer isn't hard, you just need to get the basic stuff from these type of guides, then if you have any doubts you can always ask around.

Gaming PC, as someone mentioned I would go with the i5, and ATI 5850, or the nvidia one(not sure what's the equivalent model), 4GB RAM(or 6GB DDR3 RAM if you can), PSU can be 500W from Corsair, also make sure the tower you buy is good and spacious, nothing worst than getting a gaming video card and it doesn't fit...

Edited by HDen

also make sure the tower you buy is good and spacious, nothing worst than getting a gaming video card and it doesn't fit...

Check Antec regularly for B-stock items. If I was in the market, I'd certainly go for this:

Antec.com - Product: THREE HUNDRED

I've previously bought Antec B-stock cases twice, and wasn't disappointed.

Check Antec regularly for B-stock items. If I was in the market, I'd certainly go for this:

Antec.com - Product: THREE HUNDRED

I've previously bought Antec B-stock cases twice, and wasn't disappointed.

Nice, that's exactly what I have on my shopping cart right now. I'm going pretty much with the build in the link Deepak posted, I'm at a bit more than 900$, but I haven't done any price matching yet.

If you're in the X6 1055t range with AMD, I would definitely consider the core i5-760. In benchmarks for gaming, it simply outperforms the X6. Also, the recently released GTX 460 graphics card from Nvidia performs excellently, outdoing even the GTX 465 and Radeon 5830. Once again for the price range you're looking at, it would be hard to beat. If you don't like to overclock yourself, you could just pick up the EVGA factory overclocked GTX460 for only 10 dollars more.

I have the GTX460 on my cart already, looks like a nice performer and just about 50$ more than the ATI 5770 I had put previously.

I'm still confused about the Core i5 vs Phenom X6 1055t, I've read some info about both and apparently the i5 is better for gaming, but the X6 would be a better long-term investment because it has moar cores... It's pretty much the only thing I've not decided yet, well with the motherboard of course.

Right now, I'm tempted by their 50$ "PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)", but I think building it myself would be a good learning experience.

Get the experience. It is much MUCH easier than you think! I built a gaming rig on my own as my first pc build, and it was smooth sailing. The way they make pc connectors is pretty much idiot-proof... almost,anyway. Just make sure your PSU has enough juice for everything.

I have the GTX460 on my cart already, looks like a nice performer and just about 50$ more than the ATI 5770 I had put previously.

I'm still confused about the Core i5 vs Phenom X6 1055t, I've read some info about both and apparently the i5 is better for gaming, but the X6 would be a better long-term investment because it has moar cores... It's pretty much the only thing I've not decided yet, well with the motherboard of course.

IMO by the time any game is able to take advantage of 6 cores the processor speed will be well out of date.

Gaming benchmark comparing it with the 750: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/9

750 looks faster all around by quite a bit in some benches.

Edited by deepak