Olive Users?

blessingx

See Olive just released a lower priced model today. If the O3HD is like the OH4D (no O3HD page up yet) it will have a digital input too. $1K and DAC duty makes this a bit more interesting. Still seems a bit cumbersome to have another library for other devices (iPod, etc.), but curious if any here have experience with their previous models?

olive-o3-music-server.jpg

The lazy person in me has been keeping an eye on these products.

I've seen mixed opinions and feedback out there about quality control and customer support. Again, that's all hearsay via whatever I've read as I've gone along so don't take it to the bank.

Their products to tend to strike me as a tad on the overpriced.

I realize there's more to this machine than just the hard drive but I bought myself a 2TB Western Digital Black Caviar (top of the line basically) for $165 not too long ago.

So that's when I start scratching my head when I start looking over this product line.

I'd like to hear from owners of any of their products as well, if there are any around here. :)

I'd like to know more about these myself. I wouldn't halfway mind something where, loading the CDs would be handy and convenient (my lazy side loves this) but if you connect via ethernet cable...do you also have a setup where you can use the music on your PC without having to have the PC turned on? My PC is a gaming machine that makes a little bit of noise and is an energy hog. In a perfect world, I'd like to have use the music on it without necessarily having to keep the PC on.

Are these products a viable option or do I need to look at something else?

EDIT: Apparently at least the 4 does: http://www.olive.us/contact/support/faqs.html

Yes, the Olive 4 has an import folder that is visible on your home network. Simply drag & drop audio files into this folder and you'll be able to access and play them on your Olive 4. The files must be supported formats and DRM free.

Which formats does it support?

WAV, FLAC, AAC or MP3. We suggest that you store your music in the lossless FLAC format, as it maintains the full sound quality of the original recording but requires approximately half the storage space of the original CD WAV file.
So this is all for the 4. The 4 is really expensive IMO. I wonder if all of this also applies to the 2 and the 3 or if there are "comparable" types of products I could look at that would basically do all of this.

Does seem expensive when you compare to vortexbox.org

Especially the pre-built ones. Small Green Computer

This is commodity stuff, why pay more (and its only likely to get cheaper)

The CD thing is a bonus. More likely I suspect I'm talking about either going the Mac Mini route or the NAS route at some point.

Those links you put up...I didn't know about those. Pretty neat. :)

In fact, I'd have to say I'm sorely tempted. Wouldn't mind more background information on the company (s).

The 2TB would be perfect for me. If I get something like that, I don't have install an OS or anything, if I read that right? Plug it via ethernet to router, USB from it to DAC, fire it up and go?

Does seem expensive when you compare to vortexbox.org

Especially the pre-built ones. Small Green Computer

This is commodity stuff, why pay more (and its only likely to get cheaper)

We don't know the quality of the 24/192 DAC in the Olive, but doesn't seem more expensive to me than whatever system you'd have a $400-500 ripper/NAS drive in. Add $300-$1K for the missing DAC and you approach/go over the new Olives price, no?

Edited by blessingx

We don't know the quality of the 24/192 DAC in the Olive, but doesn't seem more expensive to me than whatever system you'd have a $400-500 ripper/NAS drive in. Add $300-$1K for the missing DAC and you approach/go over the new Olives price, no?

Basically yes. In my case I already have the DAC so this vortexbox concept is one option.

If I want to control the vortexbox, like any other NAS, and I want to keep my power hogging, noisy gaming PC turned off, then that means I have to consider buying an Ipod Touch, or a Squeezebox Touch, or some such to control it and access the music, if I understand it all right.

I have to think this through. The Mac Mini is another option.

• 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2GB memory
  • 320GB hard drive1
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard

That's the stock config at $699. Meh, it's ok not great. That 5400rpm 320 gig hard drive isn't going to cut it.

Horses for courses, so many independent variables, and the onward march of technology.

If the built in DAC (operating in the electrically noisy EMI/EMF environment ) in a system with moving parts is what you want in your listening environment, then the one box solution may be exactly what you want.

Other people have commented on the fact, its not just the dac, but the power supply and the analog output stage that are determining factors in audio quality.

Add to that the mastering of the source material, over and above the container features (bit depth, sampling rate) .

It strikes me that the inbuilt DAC is a sunk cost if you want to upgrade later to something "better" , or e.g. you have an external parasound DAC you prefer. :)

Competition is good. Choice is good. What can you change, what can't you change? what's likely to change in the future ..

In the absence of "Magic" these are deterministic systems. What's the lowest cost way to achieve the desired result?

Note: Desired result may vary by persion wrt. user experience / complexity / appearance / cost.

This may indeed be the "Best" system for you. Based on your requirements. Assuming they don't change over time :)

Even the above servers seem overpriced compared to say, the SheevaPlug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (5W!)

or say Howto: Building a Squeezebox Server for under $100... Yes, it can be done... | Crazy Hawt

Drives are commodity items and declining in price. How good does the server have to be to be good enough?

What other control devices do you need to make a functioning system Or devices that you already have can be reporposed (smart phones, laptops, ipads etc). We live in interesting times.

All I would really need is something with Windows OS or MAC OS so my DAC's USB drivers work. I need it to be energy efficient and quiet where if I left it on 24/7 (I wouldn't) it just wouldn't matter.

Something that I can use with convenience and not have my somewhat noisy, powerhogging gaming PC on all the time to run it. Wireless is even a bonus since everything is in one room. Basically I want it to be as convenient as using a player.

Obviously this is all bonus: My music runs and sounds great off my gaming PC. It's just kind of wasteful energy wise and not the quietest setup in the world. I certainly can live with it. :)

So I'm just seeing what my potential options are. :)

Aha, now we have your requirements ...

Low cost, noiseless easy to use way of driving USB Dac ... (which one by the way ?)

This may be a way to go. But its early days yet

Instructions for connecting USB DAC to Touch - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

No doubt someone may be able to bundle this capability as script / app some point to make it easier to use.

Player is separate from server (but player does have touch screen I/R remote) . Server can be remote, and wake-on-lan to reduce energy cost further. Or you could just use a CD Player :)

Aha, now we have your requirements ...

Low cost, noiseless easy to use way of driving USB Dac ... (which one by the way ?)

The Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2. You'll see where I posted a bit in the thread for it in the Home Components forum. :)

http://www.head-case.org/forums/home-source-components/7493-wyred-4-sound-ess-sabre-dac-6.html#post390118 Starting from there on through.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=457975&b_id=&find_groupid=18157

It's awesome. :)

This may be a way to go. But its early days yet

Instructions for connecting USB DAC to Touch - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

No doubt someone may be able to bundle this capability as script / app some point to make it easier to use.

Player is separate from server (but player does have touch screen I/R remote) . Server can be remote, and wake-on-lan to reduce energy cost further. Or you could just use a CD Player :)

Interesting.

Mine DOES require a custom driver for either Windows or Mac so I suspect this particular concept wouldn't work for me.

I still am mostly disc based and always will be. I have a LOT of discs.

I'm just looking for potentially something that makes the computer side more convenient and such. Trying to get better educated if nothing else since I think I'm done spending money for a while. :)

^ So with the right files and one of the "lucky" external HD's you could use the Touch and the built in coax / toslink ports.

Or get a low cost netbook with a USB port (even better with an internal SSD ) . Built in screen, quiet, low power consumption , quick wake from suspend. Add external HDD of your choice. Result. You could event get a hackinstoshed one, if thats the way you want to go.

• 2 months later...