TO-3 PCBs and Mounting

luvdunhill

So, I have some nice shiny TO-3 transistors. I'd like to make a PCB with these as output devices and some sort of way to transfer heat via flange that I can mount to a heat sink. I have to admit I've never used this package, so I'm curious.... assuming I cannot mount the can on the fin side of the heat sink (which would require way to much milling and effort), what sort of ways are there to deal with this?

Second question, and not at all related to the above... any recommendations for a relatively low voltage CCS? Let's say 60V and 3A or so as extreme parameters.

Thanks!

Edited by luvdunhill

^That, plus use some PCB mount TO-3 sockets. Mouser has some Keystone ones. Or use solder tab sockets, and wire to the PCB. These look pretty decent.

http://www.mcmelectr...product/21-1645

There are also Tyco (IIRC) sockets that look really nice, but are $$$

EDIT: Also, there are two lead diameters used on TO-3s (0.041 and 0.060"), and many sockets only accept the smaller diameter. Don't ask how I know :lol:

Edited by Pars

livewire:

Thanks. The only problem is those heat sinks are relatively small, the ones I found at least. The ones that have the ability to accept forced air are interesting, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

pars:

Those sockets are interesting. I'd really like to PCB mount them, but I'll consider those when I get closer

I have an idea on the high current CCS (enhancement MOSFET with a precision voltage reference)... but suggestions are welcome.