PS Audio DirectStream DAC

blubliss

Subscribed to the Perfectwave DAC upgrade program. Funny though how they are releasing a third revision to this DAC and still haven't delivered on streaming support properly via the bridge that was the DAC's major selling point at one time. Wavestream software is still in a private alpha stage and has been for years AFAIK.

Granted that the name Ted Smith (the designer) is a common type of name, but I had seen his name before.....back in the 80's, associated with Wang Lab's.  I worked there, and his name was in the "archives" in regards to some products.  His white paper confirms he worked at Wang, on one of their early office automation products.

Some good minds there back in the day......

Anyway, interesting stuff, much of it above my head.  Would like to hear others' input (Filburt?).....

A lot of mk2 upgrade boards may be up for sale used soon if this upgrade is like the last and people can afford it... The upgrade replaces all three boards and the transformer inside, so unfortunately it's the majority of what's in the PWD itself. All that remains is the chassis and the front panel display. It will cost $2995. :blink: Notice they are using transformer coupled outputs now... reminds me of the Neko DAC.

Somebody looking for a new DAC may want to consider buying those leftover parts for cheap and sticking them in an enclosure itself with an aftermarket LCD. Cheap PWD DAC.

Video is posted. 18 mins... and seems like there is a part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B7z7QXWto-k

Edited by manaox2

A lot of mk2 upgrade boards may be up for sale used soon if this upgrade is like the last and people can afford it... The upgrade replaces all three boards and the transformer inside, so unfortunately it's the majority of what's in the PWD itself. All that remains is the chassis and the front panel display. It will cost $2995. :blink: Notice they are using transformer coupled outputs now... reminds me of the Neko DAC.

Somebody looking for a new DAC may want to consider buying those leftover parts for cheap and sticking them in an enclosure itself with an aftermarket LCD. Cheap PWD DAC.

Video is posted. 18 mins... and seems like there is a part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B7z7QXWto-k

Where are you finding the pricing and such for the upgrade? I clearly suck at surfing the interweb...

It's funny but I bought the Mk2 upgrade in November 2012 and didn't get it installed until Oct 2013 because the Mk1 sounded so good, and I'm lazy.  I'm happy with the Mk2 upgrade and latest firmware, so I think I'll just take a pass on the next upgrade at that price.  

I think I bought Mike's PWD Mk1 for about $2K and added the Bridge for about $800 + another $800 for the Mk2.  It would be crazy to spend another $3K to upgrade this, vs buying a second DAC or replacing it.

I'm also disappointed in the unstable eLyric app for iPhone/iPad that controls music playback on the PSA PWD Bridge. I was running Twonky Server on the iMac to serve my iTunes Music, and using a LaCie NAS to host FLAC music for when the Mac was off. But eLyric 2.1.1 just crashes upon launch, and while rev 2.0.9 sometimes works it's a pain to avoid updating it by accident.

Now I have to use JRiver Media Player 19 and JRiver remote app for playback with the Bridge, and I can't control music that's on the NAS with JRiver remote.