How good is Rat Shack's SPL meter?

deepak

Guest sacd lover

I plan on doing a nice little headphone shootout (HD580, HD650, L3000 because they all share a similar signature) and it would be perfect if I could level match them all rather than relying on my ears.

How accurate are those things?

I have been using mine for 10+ years. The SPL meter is very handy. But you will need to figure out a way so that the drivers are all the same distance form the SPL meter for accurate results. This can be tough with different earpads. :mikey2:

I want one too.

Does anyone know a good test disc to use?

if you want to buy a disc the stereophiles are cool for this (plus they have some other stuff on them), i use the stereophiles for burn in and slp meter for my speaker set up testing..lots o time.

I use the Digi Ratchack meter..got it free from a Dance club..should of taken the $80K of free lighting now to "hold" on in my bar...damn me!

This is a very good test CD: http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

Also, there are correction values for the RS meter easily found with Google. This won't matter just for getting a overall SPL level reading.

Also, if you haven't already planned this, cut a hole in a piece of thick cardboard the size of the meter's mic. Then couple the carboard to the earcups. This way your measurements will be consistent in terms of the volume at your ear.

I have been using mine for 10+ years. The SPL meter is very handy. But you will need to figure out a way so that the drivers are all the same distance form the SPL meter for accurate results. This can be tough with different earpads. :mikey2:
Why? Your ears are different distances from the drivers. Shouldn't the condition be: "...a way so that the SPL meter is the same distance from the drivers as your ears are (or rather, eardrums are) for accurate results..."?