SFS Mahler cycle

postjack

The sound quality is fucking amazing on the SFS set: it's recorded natively in DSD, so it really shows off the SACD format.

Performance-wise, it's pretty decent, but lower in overall quality than the Bernstein set.

Cool, thanks humanflyz. I'm not a very good judge of performance quality at this point in my classical self-education. I'll look into the Bernstein set as well.

If you are trying out the Bernstein set, just remember he did two cycles: one in the 70s with the NY Philharmonic and one in the 80s with the Vienna Philharmonic. And then there's a boxset that supposedly includes the best of the two orchestras.

Personally I like the 70s set the best, although the 80s set has slightly better sound quality due to technological advances.

If you are trying out the Bernstein set, just remember he did two cycles: one in the 70s with the NY Philharmonic and one in the 80s with the Vienna Philharmonic. And then there's a boxset that supposedly includes the best of the two orchestras.

Personally I like the 70s set the best, although the 80s set has slightly better sound quality due to technological advances.

yikes, the Bernstein set is even more expensive then the SF, and its redbook. I'll probably go with the SF.

That's not quite right. The 70's set is a complete, one orchestra set. The mid-80's set is a mixture of live recordings, including the NY Phil, Berlin Phil, Vienna Phil and Concertgebouw (i.e. the absolute best 4 orchestras in the world at the time).

yikes, the Bernstein set is even more expensive then the SF, and its redbook. I'll probably go with the SF.

Please don't - think of the money as an investment. If you are considering this to be part of your classical music education, you'll end up having to buy the Bernstein set anyway! Save yourself the money and just buy it to start with. I personally recommend the 80's set. Technically, the sound is excellent for mid-80's digital, and musically, Bernstein is at his peak, they are live, and you also get a tour of the different sounds of the world's great orchestras (and to some extent, concert halls).

Please don't - think of the money as an investment. If you are considering this to be part of your classical music education, you'll end up having to buy the Bernstein set anyway! Save yourself the money and just buy it to start with. I personally recommend the 80's set. Technically, the sound is excellent for mid-80's digital, and musically, Bernstein is at his peak, they are live, and you also get a tour of the different sounds of the world's great orchestras (and to some extent, concert halls).

Well, the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Complete-Symphonies-Anna-Reynolds/dp/B0000589BP/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4257600-5612108?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186674510&sr=1-1]70's Sony set[/ame] is $130 cheaper then the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Complete-Symphonies-Orchestral-Bernstein/dp/B00000DI2T/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-4257600-5612108?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186674583&sr=1-3]80's set[/ame]. :(

Ok, so go for Tilson Tuchus and the SFS then... ;). If they are SACD and you are into such things, you might be more inclined to listen to them, which at this point is a good thing methinks.

:) huzzah! gotta sell some more stuff, buy more classical sacds. O0

• 1 month later...

so am i the only one that doesn't like mahler?

i mean, i really should. he wrote all of the stuff low brass musicians love to play. but i just don't. i have the exact same problem with rachmaninov, and to a much lesser degree, liszt.

i like the 6th though, and i have liked bernstein's the most so far, and i'm normally not a huge fan of his.

no, the 2176 version on SuperCBS, after he was resurrected through science.
You think you're joking? You know they've already done just that with Gould's version of Bach's Goldberg Variations?

Oh, and: that's not what TheSloth said. He told me to get a different version. So: lpppt.

I forget which version is coming out on SACD, but I think it's that one (the one you posted, not the one I have -- which is fine, because I could use multiple versions).

I'm still trying to get into Mahler. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I just don't count him amongst my favorite composers...yet.

I love Rachmaninov and Liszt, however, I have no idea what you're talking about there. Of course, in my case, it's in the (russkie) blood -- perhaps you'd like a transfusion? I sell you a pint, cheap.

This one:41CMHNZEMRL._SS400_.jpg

...and don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry -- it's a very good set, I just don't have anything else to compare it to. Yet.

And it looks like it's the 1960-1975 set that's being put out on SACD -- see the above link in my post to sa-cd.net.

Any suggestions on which Rachmaninoff albums to acquire?
You definitely need a version of his second piano concerto. I like the Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence and Living Stereo with Van Cliburn.

I also like Helene Grimaud's reading of his Piano Sonata No. 2 in B flat minor paired with a Chopin Piano Sonata. (For that matter, I also enjoy her reading of his 2nd piano concerto.)

I think those two would be a good place to start.