The IRS

acs236

I have to admit that the IRS is getting on my nerves a bit -- getting me just a little bit angry. Doing those things they do.

I did my tax (or rather, had them done) early this year because we owed a little bit a of money last year, and I switched jobs last year, so I wanted to see where I was at in terms of taxes. As it turms out, because of various factors, I significantly overpaid, so I'm expecting what for me was a sizable refund.

My taxes were electronically filed on 2/16. According to the IRS chart, I should have had my refund directly depositted last Friday. As of today, nothing. So I check online and find that the processing of my return has been "delayed," and that I should call to find out what is going on. Joy -- I get to talk with someone at the IRS.

In short, I call, give a bunch of identifying information, explain the issue, and referenced the message I received on the website -- I'm put on hold for a couple minutes. When the operator comes back I'm told that there are checking whether there is liability for my wife because she didn't make estimated payments. I tell the lady that she did make estimated payments and that, had she not, since we filed jointly, it is very unlikely that I would be getting a refund. I'm put on hold for another few minutes. When she gets back she says that yes, my wife did make estimated payments and that for some un-understandable reason (at least to me) that I should expect my refund in "three cycles." I asked when that was. On hold again, for 5 minutes.

Finally, I was told that my refund would be desposited by the end of month -- roughly a month after it should have been. I hope the government appreciates the loan. argh...