Source upgrade?

boomana

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jp what's your vinyl rig? Thanks

a really ugly LP12, essentially I owned the thing for about 15 years in stock form with a basik arm. 4 years ago when I got sucked back into audio I embarked on pretty massive upgrades.

Now the only stock part is the wood frame, steel top plate, armboard and suspension

replaced/upgraded: origin live motor/power supply, baseboard removed and replaced with wood blocks tha have mapleshade brass feet screwed in, a VTAF brass vertical tracking adjuster (best bang for buck) and an origin live encounter tone arm. It sounds really great but I can't get over the feeling that a high mass table would have less noise.

I owned a vpi scout and was underwhelmed and though a sota saffire I had for a week at the house was a dead heat with the linn.

If I had it all to do over again I would have sold the linn and taken the upgrade money I sank into it and put the combined cash in a better table. Not the the linn sounds bad, it soundly has defeated all digital comers in my rig to me and most that have heard it.

I just discovered this thread and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. It's been a loooong time since I heard some of the better amps on the market but going on memory I'd say I'm on the fence. We had a Cary 300SEI at Swans Speakers when I was working there and I always enjoyed my time with it immensely but I had my eyes opened when we took some speakers down to the Philadelphia Audio Society's SET amp get together, there were some amazing amps there that trounced the Cary but most of them cost a fair bit more.

a really ugly LP12, essentially I owned the thing for about 15 years in stock form with a basik arm. 4 years ago when I got sucked back into audio I embarked on pretty massive upgrades.

Now the only stock part is the wood frame, steel top plate, armboard and suspension

replaced/upgraded: origin live motor/power supply, baseboard removed and replaced with wood blocks tha have mapleshade brass feet screwed in, a VTAF brass vertical tracking adjuster (best bang for buck) and an origin live encounter tone arm. It sounds really great but I can't get over the feeling that a high mass table would have less noise.

I owned a vpi scout and was underwhelmed and though a sota saffire I had for a week at the house was a dead heat with the linn.

If I had it all to do over again I would have sold the linn and taken the upgrade money I sank into it and put the combined cash in a better table. Not the the linn sounds bad, it soundly has defeated all digital comers in my rig to me and most that have heard it.

Really good info, my friend isn't a big fan of the Scout either.

I was not as underwhelmed by the Scout as jp was but there was no question that the Linn and Sota trounced it. All this tt talk is doing it to me again. Just when I thought I was out you drag me back in. I will probably audition a couple of the Acoustic Solid tt from Oz and then check out the Nottingham stuff at Hollywood Sound towards the end of the year.

I was not as underwhelmed by the Scout as jp was but there was no question that the Linn and Sota trounced it. All this tt talk is doing it to me again. Just when I thought I was out you drag me back in. I will probably audition a couple of the Acoustic Solid tt from Oz and then check out the Nottingham stuff at Hollywood Sound towards the end of the year.

here's the thing a used linn/scout/sota are all in the same ballpark price, other than the linn and sota requiring a bit of patience to set up there would be no reason to go scout.

PS I just got off the phone with Thom from Galibier and I'm in line for either the serac or gavia deck. Mike look at the avid diva it's a nice tt and not a bad price.

jp, I mentioned to Oz about the serac and he told me he knows Thom from his phonogram group. You probably know the history but Thom and another guy each left Teres and started their own businesses.

yeah basically they and a few others started what was know as the teres project a DIY group seeing how far they could take DIY build TTs. Chris took teres to a commercial venture and Thom went and started Galibier and had am=nother guy we worked with start redpoint. Teres and Galibier are direct to the public and redpoint is dealer network. The teres stuff is stunning but the word is it is warm sounding. I want nuetral and articulate but with body no fuzzy fuzz