a little help with cork screw

humanflyz

• 1 month later...

you should get a punch and a hammer and carefully push the cork into the bottle. if you have another cork, reseal (the cork in the wine won't effect the flavor), or you can then decant the contents if you think you can consume the wine relatively quickly.

x2, and a good incentive to consume the wine relatively quickly.

• 1 month later...

Push it in and use a napkin or cheesecloth to filter the cork remnants.

I was bartending a mafioso wine merchants party and he had a $5000 quadruple magnum bottle of wine which he had laying on the side in his wine seller and the cork rotted (1994). He took a pitcher and a Dixie napkin and filtered the whole bottle.

I was astonished!

• 2 weeks later...

Napkins, both cloth and paper. may have been processed in bleach to make them white and no matter what there are some traces of bleach remaining which will effect the taste of wine strained through them. I know because I have experienced the after taste myself when trying this. Preferable to cloth would be some type of metal strainer or better yet decant the wine into a pitcher and scoop out the cork remnants with a spoon.