Good Singlepower tube combination for MPX3 and Supra

Frihed89

I recently purchased a pair of 396A's as output tube equivalences to 5687's on my MPX3 SE. Can I use the same 5687 adapters, or should I get a different set of adapters for the 396A's?

The 396A is not a replacement/equivalent for the 5687. The 396A = 2c51 so you'd need to get the 2c51 adapter to use them. If you want to use them at all use one as the input tube, they'd be useless as output tubes.

Thanks so much guys. I do have 2c51 and ECC1 adaptors to play with. Now I can go find some good 6BX7's to put in the output sockets.

On a side note, I'm trying a PS Audio Premier to power the MPX3 SE as preamp driving Audiosector Patek SE amp. Sounding great!

Happy holidays!

The 396A is not a replacement/equivalent for the 5687. The 396A = 2c51 so you'd need to get the 2c51 adapter to use them. If you want to use them at all use one as the input tube, they'd be useless as output tubes.

Iceman94 and tkam,

Turned out I did use the cryo 396A correctly as 2c51 equivalence, and it sounds damn pretty good as that. However, what alarms me quite a bit is that the Raytheon 5687s give out a smell that I have never noticed before with other 5687s (Tung Sol for one). Is it normal?

Guest sacd lover

The 12at7 will work in the ecc1 adapter. I'm not sure you can use the 12bh7 at all. I'm not aware of SP having an adapter for those.

6gu7 = 6 volt 12bh7a .... you can use the 12bh7 in the same ECC TYPE #2 adapter you use for the 6cg7/6gu7/6fq7/12fq7. The 12bh7, however is dual voltage and will run at 6 volts like the 6cg7/6fq7/6gu7 or at 12 volts like the 12fq7. If you are going to run the tube at 6 volts the 6gu7 is much less expensive. ;)

The 12BH7 works with the same adaptor as the 12AV7, 7062, etc. I am not so good at remembering names. I have found that some of these will drive 6SN7GTs and some will not, but all will drive the 5687s or the 6BX7GTs (I just got some) or 6BL7GTAs. I don't know the science behind this sorry.

Guest sacd lover

The 12BH7 works with the same adaptor as the 12AV7, 7062, etc. I am not so good at remembering names. I have found that some of these will drive 6SN7GTs and some will not, but all will drive the 5687s or the 6BX7GTs (I just got some) or 6BL7GTAs. I don't know the science behind this sorry.

No it doesnt .... see the previous post. The 12bh7 should drive 6sn7's just fine. ???

I just looked on my TDSL software and it tells me that the 12BH7A has the same pinset as the 12Au7, 12AV7, 12AT7, 5751, 12AX7, etc. It's the 6 volt equivalents to this tube (i forget which ones they are) that use their own adaptor.

I don't want to get in a fight, here. I just want to find out which end is up. One of us is flying wihtout a full tank....and it could be me.

But I have been using the 12BH7As in my SP rig with this adaptor.

Guest sacd lover

I just looked on my TDSL software and it tells me that the 12BH7A has the same pinset as the 12Au7, 12AV7, 12AT7, 5751, 12AX7, etc. It's the 6 volt equivalents to this tube (i forget which ones they are) that use their own adaptor.

I don't want to get in a fight, here. I just want to find out which end is up. One of us is flying wihtout a full tank....and it could be me.

But I have been using the 12BH7As in my SP rig with this adaptor.

Whoops ... you are right. I am not sure what I was thinking of.