Japanese CDs mastered differently?

Shurado

not really. some have different masters than other regions (whether that's better or not depends on the CD). there are some good Japanese mastering houses. some early CDs made in Japan are really good because labels were trying to show off the CD format, but that is true of other country's CDs, too. there is nothing magical about a CD being Japanese.

my black triangle "invisible touch" is magical. :prettyprincess:

While I was looking to buy some CDs, I had come across a post somewhere claiming that Japanese versions are mastered in a way that makes them better than other regions.

Simply put, is this true?

in my experience japanese produced albums tend not to be compressed to death...but i would say the japanese version of an american produced album will sound the same as the US version.

Granted, my sample size is pretty limited and quite possibly biased, but I've found that Japanese remasters do tend to sound better. The main difference I've noted is that the Japanese versions have better dynamic range and they don't get EQ'd to death.

Speaking with people who have far more music & experience than I do, the general consensus is that when looking at the "audiophile approved" remasters alone (ie, Mo-Fi, DCC) there's no real difference between Japanese, Euro, and US versions. But the problem is there's lots of shitty remasters being done in the US by various record companies trying to make a quick buck, which leads to the impression that US remasters are no damn good since the good stuff is drowned out by all the crap. I think that's a plausible explanation.