Sonata vs. AT440MLA vs. DL-103

postjack

Grado Sonata Reference VS. Audio-Technica AT440MLA VS. Denon DL-103

Its the comparison nobody asked for!

Associated Equipment:

Technics SL1200MK2

Grado PH-1 (on H gain for DL-103, L gain for AT440MLA and Sonata)

Cambridge Audio 840A

Stax SRD-7/Pro Adaptor

Stax SR-007/Omega II

Music used:

Alan Parsons - I Robot

Classic Records 200g

Introduction

Back when I started this hobby blah blah mikey fremer.

The Rundown

Highs

Sonata: They're OK. Sometimes they are dull and wooly, sometimes the upper midrange must creep into the treble, because then it sounds bright, or maybe overly glarey. Could just be a tonearm mismatch.

AT440MLa: The highs are this wundercarts only failing. Its just on the edge of bright. Not intolerably bright, just a little bright.

DL-103: Maaaaybe a tad bright, but in a much less harsh way then the AT440MLa or the Sonata. But really the highs are quite detailed and lovely, at least to these ears.

Mids

Sonata: Wonderful. The Grado midrange is a unique and addictive thing. One either loves it, hates it, or thinks its ok. I think its nifty, but dare I say a bit colored, like its companion the RS-1.

AT440MLa: Unoffensive but unexceptional.

DL-103: Mmmmmmmmmmusical. Not quite as full as the Sonata midrange maybe, but it is more dynamic, and seems more true to the music

Lows

Sonata: Great bass, but not the last word in low low bass. Nice midbass impact

AT440MLa: Unoffensive, pleasant enough, tight.

DL-103: Reaches lower then the Sonata, is definitely fuller and has the best body. The most instantly delightful part of this cart.

Tracking:

Sonata: Despite Grado's reputation for poor tracking, the Sonata does just fine. However, it does do the Grado dance audibly if not visually at the start of every record, so therefore it wins Worst In Show in this category

AT440MLa: Its known as the best budget tracker, period, and with good reason. In terms of tracking, the AT440MLa is pure win.

DL-103: Is a spherical stylus, derp. Tracks like a champ.

Soundstage:

Sonata: The Sonata very much puts you in a Grado room, which is a small, intimate, warm place. I always picture the walls being pink for some reason. Pleasant enough sensation, but can feel artificial. This "wool" effect is alleviated somewhat in the LO version of the Sonata (Sonata Statement), but the Statement isn't included in this comparison.

AT440MLa: Unoffensive, unexceptional.

DL-103: Quite large and airy. Best of the bunch.

User Friendliness:

Sonata: Really quirky when it comes to VTF and alignment. A pain in the ass to setup.

AT440MLa: Pretty simple to setup.

DL-103: Easiest of the bunch by far due to the spherical stylus. Having said that, you really want to make sure you get it right, because you won't get as many audible cues (distortion) if it was setup wrong, which theoretically could mean damaged records. People always say this, but I swear I've run some fucked up carts across some LPs and have yet to damaged anything.

Conclusion

Denon DL-103 wins yay. :prettyprincess:

The Denon is MC and the other 2 are MM right?

Though I didn't ask for it, this is really helpful to me since hopefully I'll get my vinyl setup better, uh, set up soon.

Well, I think technically the Sonata is a Moving Iron. :)

I forgot to do prices:

Grado Sonata Reference - $500 MSRP, can be had for slightly less.

AT440MLa - A great deal at $95, and a cart I will continue to recommend.

Denon DL-103 - An even better deal at $167 shipped from williamthakker in Germany. Well worth the upgrade if you have the cash and your phono can do MC.

luvdunhill, I'll try to track down a DL-103D, but its currently out of production, and eBay appears dry. :-\ In the meantime I'll stock up on DL-103s when I get some extra cash.

What I really want to do is try out some other phono stages with the DL-103. I'd like to try:

Dynavector P-75

Jolida JD9

Denon AU-300LC -> Bugle

Having said that, the PH-1 does perform admirably with all the carts I've thrown at it, but I know there is better out there.

go with the Bugle! Also, another particular noteworthy phono stage is a DIY Pass Pearl. go DIY!

ack, you DIY people always want others to go DIY. ;)

Just kidding, I love DIYers opinions. My only concern is the quality of the AU-300LC, reports on it are conflicting, and I'd need something to step up the signal, since isn't the Bugle MM only?

ack, you DIY people always want others to go DIY. ;)

Just kidding, I love DIYers opinions. My only concern is the quality of the AU-300LC, reports on it are conflicting, and I'd need something to step up the signal, since isn't the Bugle MM only?

The Bugle can be configured with more gain... depends how much you need. I don't see why people don't understand this. Anyways, I built one with 60dB gain before and ran it with the DL-103D into a line-stage and a Creek headphone amp I had at the time with no issues.

If you have your heart set on step-up iron, I'd go with the Lundahl. one just sold on Audiogon for a decent deal.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1206201664

Thanks for the write up Jack. I'm tempted to try the DL-103, not too happy with my Goldring.

Its the most musically satisfying cart I've yet heard. Its also financially satisfying, which is a good thing on a cartridge, which by its nature has a limited lifespan and must be replaced. I'll probably be selling my Grado carts here soon, and I'm going to look into trying out a Bugle with the DL-103. According to the Bugle manual, it can indeed be set for a gain as high as 60dbs (surprisingly, this claim wasn't yet another DIYLIE >:(), which should be fine for the DL-103.

In addition to the above carts, I've also owned:

KAB/Stanton Groovemaster: dullest sound I've ever heard in my system. Sorry Kevin.

KAB/Ortofon ProS30: A very fine cart. Highly recommmended for 1200 owners who don't want to mess with alignment. Neutral and fairly balanced from top to bottom, but with a slightly recessed midrange and a touch of brightness.

Grado Sonata Statement: Probably a better cart then the Reference, with a little more room in the soundstage, less warm, more neutral, but still has that Grado sound. If I had to recommend either the Statement or the Reference, and the user had a phono that could handle either, I'd say go with the Statement.

Another part of the appeal of the DL-103 is that its design hasn't changed I think since the 1960s. Something about old designs appeal to me in analog, as opposed to in digital where I prefer newer designs. Here's a blurb from a TNT Audio review:

"You see, as opposed to 'modern' sanitised hifi components the DL-103 sounds powerful and enthusiastic. The midrange thrives on instrumental timbres that seem correct and that, simply said, are beautiful to hear. Drums are tight, dynamic, and explosive, and as such one full notch above what I'm used of more expensive cartridges like the MC25FL and the OC9. Brass, woodwinds and brass are breathy and natural. "

Its the most musically satisfying cart I've yet heard. Its also financially satisfying, which is a good thing on a cartridge, which by its nature has a limited lifespan and must be replaced. I'll probably be selling my Grado carts here soon, and I'm going to look into trying out a Bugle with the DL-103. According to the Bugle manual, it can indeed be set for a gain as high as 60dbs (surprisingly, this claim wasn't yet another DIYLIE >:(), which should be fine for the DL-103.

Do what Marc suggested, go Pass Labs >:D

Dew eet you're so deep into vinyl.

but I can't DIY. :'(

well, you should at least buy the kit, as the group buy is ending soonish and then there's a bit of a wait afterwards. Here's a link to the guy you need to contact.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1421009#post1421009

Once the kit goes, it will be harder to find the boards and parts.

I'm sure this is out of his price range... Used, they run ~$1k, assuming you mean the entire phono preamp, just just the step-up. Excellent though!

Yeah I meant the full phono preamp. It's a very impressive design and even better since they came out with a new kit with even better parts... ;D