Wait...what?!?!? QuickTime == iTunes?!?!?

So I went to the Apple trailers site, and it said I needed QuickTime v. 7 to view the Simpsons movie teaser. So I went to download it, and it's called "iTunesSetup.exe" -- WTF? Have they merged the two softwares? Is this like RealPlayah? I really like just having the media player, I don't need iTunes' other carp.

So I guess the real question is, has anyone else installed this, and if so, can I still just watch vid clips like on the trailers site with it? Or if I click on the wrong thing, am I going to accidentally buy some MP3's...or somesuch whatnot...?

So I guess the real question is, has anyone else installed this, and if so, can I still just watch vid clips like on the trailers site with it? Or if I click on the wrong thing, am I going to accidentally buy some MP3's...or somesuch whatnot...?

You aren't going to accidentally buy any songs, don't worry. iTunes, unlike realplayer, opens when you open iTunes or plug in an iPod. It doesn't try to tackle you to the ground and do lude things, while crashing your machine at random like realplayer ;)

afrer i D/Ld that, no quicktime vids will play anymore on my computer without stuttering nonstop. i tried getting rid of it and putting an earlier version in, but i don't want to go to a more primitive itunes update. tying them together stinks. oh well, this just means i dont watch junk that needs QT to run it anymore, no big loss.

Why does anyone use Quicktime, anyway? What advantages does the the format have?

In my case, it's purely convenience. There are vids out there, that I enjoy seeing (such as the movie trailers on apple.com) that are in .mov format, and I don't feel like looking for it in another format.

Ditto Real. I found something called "Real Alternative" which is great in that it plays real format vids just fine (you can't press stop, though -- you have to re-open the file if you do), but doesn't subsume the computer like RealPlayer does.

Now I need to find "Quicktime Alternative". I don't feel like installing software I will never use (iTunes).

Cool! That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew Apple wouldn't get all Real on me.

Well, they bury it on the page under something you have to pay for, so I'm guessing they offer it only because they'd piss a lot of people off if they didn't, but they'd rather you just download iTunes as well.

• 1 month later...

afrer i D/Ld that, no quicktime vids will play anymore on my computer without stuttering nonstop. i tried getting rid of it and putting an earlier version in, but i don't want to go to a more primitive itunes update. tying them together stinks. oh well, this just means i dont watch junk that needs QT to run it anymore, no big loss.

You ever get that stuttering problem fixed?i have the exact same thing and i can play NO.mov files like that.