840a, terminal B, banana plugs, wtf

postjack

So I recently bought some short speaker cable from BJC terminated with banana plugs. I figured I'd have no trouble using the banana plugs the B speaker terminals on my 840A since it was super easy hooking up my 22L's with banana plug terminated speaker wire. Lo and behold, I'm just here trying to setup my SRD-7/mk2, and the fucking plugs won't go into the terminal. A quick flick of the flash light reveals:

840astaxwtf002yf7.jpg

840astaxwtf003zc7.jpg

what the fuck? why the hell would cambridge put little pieces of black plastic in JUST the b terminals so banana plugs can't be used there? :rant: I'm no expert on speaker amps, could somebody please tell me what the fucking point of this is so I can stop saying fuck? you can see the dents I made while I was trying to push the plugs in.

I'm just going to cut off the banana plugs and strip the wire, but shit, I paid for the banana plugs, and I like their clean look. back to bare wire I guess, I don't see anyway I can get that black plastic out of there.

PS It probably has something to do with Cambridge Audio being a European company. There's this whole overly-protective movement, so they're probably required to cover the B-terminals, because they're unused in most instances, whereas the A-terminals are almost always in use.

You know, in case you accidentally touched the two together.

Did you look in the manual?

yup, nothing.

Forgive me for being obvious, but did you try unscrewing the binding posts all the way to see if you can get at those plugs from another angle?

No worries about being obvious, I'm open to all suggestions, but I've already tried, and the binding posts can't be unscrewed all the way out.

can you take the plugs out?

I'm having a real hard time getting at them. I've tried to make a hook out of a coat hanger and see if I can get enough force to push them out, but so far no go. They may be stuck in there.

I've run bare wire out of this speaker terminal for months with no problems, sounds great, so functionally they are fine.

PS It probably has something to do with Cambridge Audio being a European company. There's this whole overly-protective movement, so they're probably required to cover the B-terminals, because they're unused in most instances, whereas the A-terminals are almost always in use.

You know, in case you accidentally touched the two together.

I too was thinking the explanation might go something like that.