New Speakers

JMcMasterJ

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a new pair of speakers.

I'm currently using a pair of Von Schweiker VR-1 monitors, but I'm moving into a larger space soon and am interested in getting some full size speakers.I'm currently using an April Music Aura Note, which is an excellent source and amp, but is just 50wpc. The room I'll be using them in is 15 x 14.

I'd like to spend around $1000 or less, but that may be flexible. I don't have much experience with speakers as I've been a headphone guy in college. Any recommendations? Thanks

Welcome to Head-Case J.

I can't help much with speakers as I'm still a headphone guy mostly but there are a few here who subscribe to the deranged notion that in some way speakers are a viable alternative to headphones. I don't hold with such nonsense myself but there you go.

Just wanted to stop by and give you a big fat H-C welcome because for reasons I can't fathom, some people actually believe we're unfriendly here. Not so, we're all cuddly bunnies and love everyone. ;D

I'm well cuddly me.

$1000 would buy some used Quad 21L which I use in a similarly sized room and lvoe to bits. My speaker experience though is limited enough that I can only chime in to recommend my own rig where circumstance permits. They are rated for like 150 watts power but I run them from a 30watt amp very happily.

.......especially fellow speaker dudes and dudettes. That $1K price point is a toughie I will have to think about it and get back to you. Because unlike "the other place" I won't give you my opinion based upon what my second cousin's sister-in-laws's hairdresser's uncle read in last year's Stereophile or heard on Oprah, I would like to give you my opinion, FWIW, on things I have actually auditioned.

Welcome to HeadCase J, kumbaya.......................

There's really not much competition to the AV123 X-Statik's at $699/pair (Satin Black).

img5622wk9.jpg

But if you like the VSA sound, the VR-2 + nice sub can sound amazing.

I sometimes think the VR-2 was too good compared to the VR-4, which is why it was discontinued :(

vr2frontnogrilllgb554c5zl5.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes and recommendations :). There is a reason I posted this on here. I didn't want to have to sift through some of the crap responses I would get from "the other place." I was wondering where a lot of these people disappeared to...

I honestly have no idea where to start with speakers. I bought the Aura Note because it's a SEXY high quality all-in-one cdp/usb dac/amp for $2000. And it has a REMOTE! Imagine that.

I really like the VR-1s (haven't heard much else) in my less-than-ideal cramped dorm space. But when I move out next month and into a much bigger room, I want some big speakers that I can rock out on! At least, that's my plan.

Headphones were a lot easier to try out using the buy/ sell method. And I really don't want to get into that with speakers. I just want a pair that will make me happy for a long time :D. I don't know of anywhere around here that I can audition speakers.

What is a good price range for speakers? I have no idea what I SHOULD spend. Hopefully not too much... I also want a $$$ turntable.

Jon, those X-Statik's look very nice. I posted a question about them on the av123 forum, but didn't get much of a response.

Anyway, any help is useful. I know a lot about headphones, but very little about speakers. I look into those Quads also...

Thanks!