Best Buy

Dusty Chalk

Bear with me: so I get this coupon in the mail, and I flip it over, and it says that it's exempt on, amongst other things, Martin Logan equipment. Martin Logan? Since when did Best Buy start selling Martin Logan equipment?!?!? So I do a little searching around, and it appears they're starting a high-end corner in some of their shops, Magnolia Home Theater. No shit! They also sell McIntosh, Sennheiser, REL, and a bunch of other good shit.

Oh, and Bose.

What's next? Pigs flying? Cows coming home?

Interesting, apparently in 2000, Best Buy purchased magnolia hi-fi, which consisted of a seattle chain and the original Oregon stores I am familiar with (I purchased my HD525s from the Clackamas store in '97, the first oregon magnolia hi-fi was opened in Beaverton in '89). They carry a lot of overpriced crap for the most part, but a few interesting bits.

I had no idea this had happened. The local stores haven't changed a bit, but some searching confirms they are now owned by Best Buy (the original stores are now Magnolia Audio/Video and the Best Buy side-stores are Magnolia Home Theater).

Very strange to see a northwest local turn into a Best Buy nation-wide name. I don't think that's a change for the better, but honestly I don't think the stores were all that to begin with. ;) Just interesting...

http://www.magnoliaav.com/stores/storedetails.asp?id=11

The one time I went to Magnolia I asked the sales guy if they had any Grado headphones. They said they didn't, but they had some sennheisers and stuff. He then went on and named some amps and stuff like Headroom. I was suprised they knew anything about headphones! Well I left the store and went next door and got a pair of SR-60s. :-\