Synergy List?

Nanoha

Melos with Grados. Damn if that isn't synergy. But as said above, you need the right tubes. Fortunately, there's a tube out there for every preference so pop the one you like in the Melos and you're golden!

Something about the STAX Lambda Pros with the amp it was twinned with - the SRM-1/MKII. Vintage rightness.

KSC-35 with an Evilfire Cmoy. This combo beats some seriously more expensive portable rigs, no joke. It's all about synergy.

Sony R10 with The Stealth. Brings the Bass, and an organic warmth the Sony R10 just doesn't have with other amps (including the Melos unfortunately)

For some reason, the DT770 with that Channel Islands headphone amp - the VHP something? Oh well - it made that Beyer sound downright Reference.

I am SO sad. I'm so hard up, I even went on Google Cache to try to get to Head-fi, and only pulled stuff older than 5/6/06. Oh well. The good news is that I found an old comparo I did with AT woodies i've heard, and typed out some thoughts on Synergy you might find interesting -

I feel that there are four types of cans when you talk about synergy-

1)The can is "trying to do something" and so needs the right rig to go with it so it can pull off what it's trying to do in terms of frequency response, dynamics, etc. Without the right rig, it can go south quick. Example - W5000. It's worth paying the money to make it happen tho, because the W5000 WILL give you that payoff, it has that potential to take you to that "High End" realm. A non-AT can like this would be the SA5000.

2)The can isn't trying to do anything other than live in its own world and conform all rigs and tunes to it. This integrating, forgiving can is great for long relaxing listens IF you enjoy the signature. The W10VTG is this kind of can - good thing I like this signature hehe! No matter what you plug it into - iRiver, straight into a CDP to an Earmax, or using an external DAC/headphone amp like the Grace m902 - this W10VTG will wrap you in a nice cocoon of comfort. A non-AT can like this would be the KSC-35 - forgiving but having its own signature no matter what.

3)The can is so neutral and transparent that it seems to work with everything, and only seems to fail when the components or tracks fail, hehe. And yet, they have their own signature with that fun X factor that doesn't color, but just pleases. Ok, I'm biased, but I think the examples for me here are my HP2 and Stax Lambda Pros. Just a note tho - general consensus is that the my HP2 is a "most un-Grado like Grado" and the STAX is a most "un-STAX like STAX" because they don't carry the pitfalls of the stereotypical Grate-O or Electrostatic Etch. Larry has something to do with the Darth Grado's response, but I guess the STAX has to just chalk it up to baking in a Pioneer coffin case for 20 years, hehe.

4)The can is so particular in what it's trying to do, that getting the right synergy for it is nigh impossible, and anything falling short is a crash and burn affair. IMHO, the CD3000, the Qualia, and the W2002 fall in this category - you just have to feel like the engineers had SOMEthing in mind, but you just can't seem to make it happen, it's very frustrating. That doesn't stop people from stepping up and trying tho - that's the fun part of this hobby, other than just kicking back and grooving to the tunes!

Hirsch and I recently plugged his CD3000 (rewoodied) into his old chassis PPX and it was quite magical. That was a nice pairing as well as the W100 out of the same amp...I spent about 24 hours with the PPX at my place with this combo and I couldn't take the headphones off when I was awake.

I like my balanced M3 with the K1000, but Canman's Pass Labs Aleph 3 is incredible....great combo. Best I've ever heard the K1000.