Chordette Gem by Chord

Cankin

Excuse my unfamiliarity with Bluetooth, but is 'CD-like transfer of music' basic marketing-speak or is there some Bluetooth technical limitation (bandwidth, etc.) that requires that lossy compression/sat radio-ish term? I see Cankin's link lists 'MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, and ATRAC, and is extensible to support manufacturer-defined codecs.' I'm guessing because of Bluetooths earlier intended uses with cells, etc. means uncompressed audio is probably out for laptops users, etc.?

USB is a good option to have, but I don't understand why there is bluetooth. I wouldn't use bluetooth to send music files to a DAC.

Phones have larger storage capacities now, but so do other devices. I can't see myself using a phone to play music files through the Chordette Gem.

BTW, I'm a DAC64 owner.

There are many more devices support A2DP bluetooth, for eg. newer Macs and Vista PC. I recall that people from Chord said they "think" that A2DP bluetooth can be the next main stream wireless. So, they're actually betting on that.

BTW, this can be a good one box solution over Squeezebox + DAC at the same price range.