Someone stop me, I'm getting GAS about Guitars again

So I realized that my LP Custom and Guid JF30 are just rotting under the bed, so I was thinking of getting cans for them at first, then I thought "hey, why not do a 2-fer and see if anyone might trade these two for one stompin' dreadnaught?" So I find a 1970's Martin D-41 and the guy might do it...

Uh oh. Gear Acquisition Syndrome in effect!

Never ever ever sell a good guitar.

Ok, I'll leave the LP alone. But what about the Guild JF30? It's a good guitar, but it's no Martin. If I managed to sell it, then use the cash plus some more to upgrade to a Martin...ah forget it. I'll let it rot under there. No one is going to dowgrade a Martin for a Guild plus cash - and where would I get the "plus cash" anyhow? Best let sleeping axes lie.

It's really hard to resist when you see ridiculous deals like this on harmony-central-

Martin HD-28

Asking Price: US$1000

Condition: Excellent

Description:

I got a Martin HD-28 for sale.

This great sounding and playing guitar is in like new condition. It's only 15 months months old .

My dad left it for me a two months ago and i do not play it.

Need to sell it to settle some bills. Prize is $1,000 and it includes shipping to your home address within the US. Email for pics or with questions if interested.

([email protected])

Seller: Michael Ervin,

E-mail: michael (Profile)

Post Date: 5/16/2006

• 3 weeks later...

I sold a 1964 Epiphone solid body a couple of years ago. Boy was that EVER a BIG mistake. Gibson has a new Les Paul out now. It is a thin solid body with a flat front, two single coil pick ups and the cutouts are open around the neck on both sides. Very retro and standard looking with the old style black pickguard. I really want one though. It has got to be light weight and close action on the strings. It is solid mahogony with a set neck for $750. I would replace the single coils with stacked (single coil looking) humbuckers and split coil them. It would be a lifetime keeper then.

Oddly enough, I've decided to take up the guitar myself. Figured I'd start with the acoustic and go from there. Any words of advice from you experienced musicians?

Only three pieces of advice -

1)Buy used if you can. As long as there isn't a crack on the soundboard, you're golden.

2)Make certain the soundboard is solid wood. The ones using laminate for the top = bad guitars, and won't improve with age.

3)If you buy it at a store, have them set it up for your for free. If you get it online or elsewhere, take it to a shop for a onceover before learning. Nothing turns off beginners more than a badly set up guitar. For a starter, I'd ask for something with low action, yet high enough not to buzz when the humidity gets low.

Actually, got an Alvarez acoustic for fathers day so buying isn't an issue. Now, the sore fingers are another matter altogether! ;) Always wanted to learn but never had the time while in school. Now I begin! Watch out SRV!!!!

Ah very cool! Yep, I would head down to the guitar store and have them set it up for you properly. The stinging fingers will go away when you get your baby calluses, come back when those fall off, then disappear for good when you get your pads (the tips of your fingers will look normal but they'll be tough!) This is the worst time, but once it's over you'll be on automatic and strumming to your fave tunes! Go online and find Tabs (Tablature) and learn how to put your fingers down on the frets - that's the quick and dirty way to learn. Strumming? Just go with what sounds good. Start with your thumb and get a pick (plectrum) once you have a good sense of rhythm going. Good luck!

Ah very cool! Yep, I would head down to the guitar store and have them set it up for you properly. The stinging fingers will go away when you get your baby calluses, come back when those fall off, then disappear for good when you get your pads (the tips of your fingers will look normal but they'll be tough!) This is the worst time, but once it's over you'll be on automatic and strumming to your fave tunes! Go online and find Tabs (Tablature) and learn how to put your fingers down on the frets - that's the quick and dirty way to learn. Strumming? Just go with what sounds good. Start with your thumb and get a pick (plectrum) once you have a good sense of rhythm going. Good luck!

I've been doing a good bit of google work and happened upon GuitarNoise. Nice site. Very informative. Struggling with a few chords though. For the life of me, I can't seem to work out the A and D. Never really thought I had "big" fingers but those two are giving me fits. My big problem is that my ring finger has been dislocated several times and the ligaments are shot. Makes it a tough one.

So I've still got a ways to go with the sore fingers?! I'm doing about 1-2 hours per night. How long do you think it will take to get past that soreness....well, it's almost a bit numb now?

take a week or two to get the baby calluses going at that rate, then they'll peel off quite grossly for weeks after that until by the end of summer you've got the pads that will last you your whole life as long as you pick an axe up at least once a week.

the D chord stinks for beginners i know. but once you have that down, you'll be able to use the pinky and lift the middle finger off during songs to really add a lot of flavor. for that chord just remembeer that the pointer and ring finger are the supports and you're coming straight down, perpendicular to the fretboard right on those strings, supported by your thumb on the back of the neck (when you're lazier and stronger, you can use the palm of your hand on the back of the neck to provide the clamping tension).

for the A chord? i'm not double jointed so instead of going the easy route and just barring all three strings with my ring finger, i have to actually use all three fingers to bar that chord. it's a pain. but that also gives me flexibility, since i can fingerstyle by lifting off any of those fingers to add some nice touches to a tune.

good luck, strengthen those fingers, and cut those ligaments if they get in the way! :laugh:

take a week or two to get the baby calluses going at that rate, then they'll peel off quite grossly for weeks after that until by the end of summer you've got the pads that will last you your whole life as long as you pick an axe up at least once a week.

the D chord stinks for beginners i know. but once you have that down, you'll be able to use the pinky and lift the middle finger off during songs to really add a lot of flavor. for that chord just remembeer that the pointer and ring finger are the supports and you're coming straight down, perpendicular to the fretboard right on those strings, supported by your thumb on the back of the neck (when you're lazier and stronger, you can use the palm of your hand on the back of the neck to provide the clamping tension).

for the A chord? i'm not double jointed so instead of going the easy route and just barring all three strings with my ring finger, i have to actually use all three fingers to bar that chord. it's a pain. but that also gives me flexibility, since i can fingerstyle by lifting off any of those fingers to add some nice touches to a tune.

good luck, strengthen those fingers, and cut those ligaments if they get in the way! :laugh:

Thanks for the tips on the D. That's part of my problem. Because of the weak finger, I have trouble staying straight up/perpendicular to the fretboard. It usually dampens the adjacent string and ruins things. I'm gonna keep at it though. I've wanted to learn to play for years now. Lots of wasted time but while I may never be "good", I'm going to enjoy myself. Can't wait for my first callous! Actually, I'm seeing a little whitish change at the tip of my index finger. Maybe that's my FIRST!!!??

Thanks for the tips on the D. That's part of my problem. Because of the weak finger, I have trouble staying straight up/perpendicular to the fretboard. It usually dampens the adjacent string and ruins things. I'm gonna keep at it though. I've wanted to learn to play for years now. Lots of wasted time but while I may never be "good", I'm going to enjoy myself. Can't wait for my first callous! Actually, I'm seeing a little whitish change at the tip of my index finger. Maybe that's my FIRST!!!??

yep that's it! it will curl up, look like thick dead skin, and eventually peel off. gross but do NOT pick at it. there's a pad growing under there taking its time!

yep that's it! it will curl up, look like thick dead skin, and eventually peel off. gross but do NOT pick at it. there's a pad growing under there taking its time!

Why do I just feel as though I just lost my virginity?? I'm pumped! Can't wait to get home and get to practice!

Learn to play the "F" chord. Then just lay your index finger all across the strings and do the rest of the fingers like an "F" chord. Now as you move/slide your fingers up the fretboard (in that position) the chord becomes what ever fret your index finger is laying across named from the 1st. string. Do minors, 7th's ect. the same way.

Hmm, I'll give that a try. Everything is so awkward and foreign right now. I feel like a toddler learning to take his first steps. Wonder how long before I begin to get "comfortable" much less play something recognizable! It's fun and even relaxing.

Just a note - I HATE the F-Chord. It's one of the hardest chords for a beginner to get down, which is unfortunate since it's the basis of the "Power Chord" as you run up and down the neck. Honestly, I pretty much just stick to an open E-chord (looks the same but you use different fingering and there's no finger barring on top) and run up and down with that.

I've been working with the F. Honestly, I have an easier time of that than that stinking D!! I just can't keep my finger from leaning back against that E!! Yeah, I know I need to be more vertical but darn that's got me more than a few times when I try and go too quick in a transition. I'll give that open E some time tonight. Keep dem tips comin'!!! You know...I could almost sell my headphone gear and just enjoy learning the guitar! I'm having a blast. I'm almost past the sore tips.....actually, they're more than a bit numb right now! Guess that's progress. Wish I hadn't waited so long to start but at least I DID start.

Too bad you aren't going to be near the NYC meet next month, I woulda run downstairs and grabbed an axe and shown you a few tips. I like the open E-minor chord too, and when you run up the fretboard using the Open E-major minor minor major major to end at an A...magix.