Best place to shop for monitors?

Greg does GRID computing, which is something I really don't understand. There are more 30"s in that picture than one MacPro can drive. It looks like there's four or five machines lurking under the desk. I suspect the top monitors are for the benefit of other people. I know they do some small scale presentations with that setup.

link "thankyou10" for coupon ($50 off)

This is NOT a TN panel, BTW

Durr, is a TN panel desirable or not? I know there are generally two types of LCD technology, one favored by gamers, and one favored by ...everyone else. Being a photographer, I need color accuracy and proper gamma, and have little use for bleeding fast response times.

Regardless of what you need or want, my point is the vast majority of >$1000 displays these days are TN. Good response times, bad color performance and viewing angles. I've not bothered to learn much, but there are many types. TN, S-IPS, IPS, VA, MVA, P-MVA, S-PVA, etc. I believe this one is an MVA, iirc.

MVA (Multidomain Vertical Alignment)

- compromise between TN and IPS technologies

- superior color reproduction over TN but not as good as IPS

- very good viewing angles but less than IPS

- higher contrast than TN or S-IPS means very good blacks

- dead pixels are black

- slower pixel response than TN or IPS

- details can be lost when directly viewing dark areas

i get the feeling he needs to be beaten to death, and his toys reallocated. it's just a feeling, though, just a feeling.

2zowwm1.jpg

I should point out that Greg has his personal office (which has a paltry four monitors, IIRC) and the rig I showed above is the, uh, GRID computer. He also has a pair of Senns, but I don't know which model. Certainly not 650s.

As an aside, it's now difficult or impossible to link to a Flickr photo page when composing in the advanced editor. The head case software tries to embed the page like a YouTube video and generates an error. 091507_Biosphere_RML12 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2803507947_d99154ab0d.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2803507947@@AMEPARAM@@d99154ab0d

All my album scans are from Flickr.

Yes, and...?

It's quite possible to insert an image from Flickr into a message:

2803507947_d99154ab0d.jpg

Today's test subject, Geir Jenssen.

What's not working is posting a URL to the actualy Flickr page. like this:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultravod/2803507947/]Link to photo page[/url].

Realizing I cannot keep up with all this stuff, I go to Extreme Tech, Maximum PC, and ZDNet and find out 1) what they are recommending and 2) why. Usually narrows things down to two or three items on a features/value basis. Then I use the shopping bots to find a responsible e-tailer with a reasonable product and shipping costs. BTW, they seem to like the Gateway XHD3000, but 30" monitors and their video engines are still in a state of rapid development and it depends on your application.

As to the 30" monitor, it reminds of of years ago when I got SWMBO a new 25" TV for her home office. She was complaining to my hunting partner that it was way too big. He asked her real slowly if she had to turn her head back and forth to see the whole picture. End of conversation. :dance:

Oh Em Eff Gee. I just TXT'd my friend Greg, the one with the 36MP in Apple monitor. I asked him what model Senns he had. He said "something mid-90s" and that they broke and he replaced them with ...Bose Quite Comfort 2s.

:palm: Feel free to beat him senseless and re-assign his Macintoys as you see fit, Reks. I am officially disowning him. blink.gif

• 3 months later...

Okay, I need a new television as well, so I'm probably going with the Gateway XHD-3000 (or the Dell 3008FPW). Those are really the only two options, because they're the only ones that have internal scalers, and I know of no scalers that will produce DVI-D (Dual DVI).

Any other contenders or options I should be considering?