Playback reviews "high-end headphones"

Hopstretch

what amps and sources?

The amp was an MF X-Can V3 with blackgates + a custom external PSU. The source is a heavily modded M-Audio SuperDAC, which I am still using with my O2 and friends. The amp did improve the HD650, but it still didn't stop an SR-5 (when it was still unmodded) with a SRD-X that was literally in pieces from eating them for breakfast.

Having said that, they aren't horrible headphones. They're just boring. :P

i haven't heard a pair of Stax, or that source, but i've heard the 650s with an X-Can V3 (along with some good sources), and i'm comfortable saying that either your 650s were broken or your ears are. i'd be more than happy to do exploratory surgery on your ears, here in my basement, if you ever make it to Cincinnati.

[stax Mafia]You need... advice.[/stax Mafia]

I've heard the HD650 sound boring, analytical, cold (yes, cold), warm, soft, dynamic, not dynamic, detailed, muddy, whatever the hell you can think of really, all depending on the system. I don't think it's a neutral headphone by itself, but it's revealing enough to sound at least in part like your upstream components, and its sound can be tailored in many different directions.

The reviewer also mentioned FR irregularities in the Proline 2500, which I agree with. He seems to be immune to piercing highs, but even so, I've seen far worse "professional" reviews than this one.

Guest troymadison
i haven't heard a pair of Stax, or that source, but i've heard the 650s with an X-Can V3 (along with some good sources), and i'm comfortable saying that either your 650s were broken or your ears are. i'd be more than happy to do exploratory surgery on your ears, here in my basement, if you ever make it to Cincinnati.

Enlighten me on how the HD650s sound good. I'm willing to say that they are even worse than my KSC75. Say what you will about my current amp but I've tried it out of some other amps and I was rarely impressed by them.

Guest troymadison
it was thin sounding, soupy in the midrange, the soundstage was... ambiguous, had no impact, and was bright. that's from memory. i gave them away about 2 weeks after i got them. swapping some well used beyer pads on helped with the impact, but didn't help with the rest. i was running them from my Capitole Mk II to either my MPX3 running 6BX7s or a Zana Deux, so i don't think they were particularly underdriven.

Well, I think they are as perfect as a headphone can get.

The 650s sound significantly different/better when balanced. But, so far, IMHO, call it boring, call it lack of dynamics, call it vieled, call it irresponsible, it still missies a full sense of presenting music as it is and not artificially color and vieled. I am still waiting for my Audio Audio Capitole SE cd player/pre-amp, the soon to be released Balancing Act to even further upgraded Aficianado tube balanced/single ended tube amp the Craig and Paul from Moth Audio are about to release to the world. Craig tells me the balanced 650s will sound significantly improved/wonderful through this system. Thus far to repeat, w/650's-balanced way better...still artificial and lacking...thus far.

PS If I do get my active ATC 20-2 speakers I may join Jacob and just opt out of headphones altoghter. Freedom. .. until my wife gets home.;D