New K340's on the way!

TheSloth

I bought a pair of physically very good condition K340's from head-fi a while back, and found that the left driver was not working properly - the electrostatic element wasn't doing anything. I contacted AKG who informed me that they can repair the K340, and charge a flat fee of $80 for any electrical work. So, I sent off my cans and today, true to their word, they called me to inform me that the would completely replace both drivers for the said flat fee if I wanted to go ahead, and would return them tomorrow FedEx Express!

I'm very excited! Any suggestions for a K340 noob?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they're here! I've had a day with them now, and run the new drivers (both were replaced, and they sent back the old ones which looked in pretty bad shape so I just threw them out) for about 12 hours. Things might change/improve with burn-in, but I think overall the sound signature is pretty settled.

They are a very strange pair of headphones indeed. They aren't that hard to drive - I am at about 10-11 o'clock on medium gain with my convertible.

I'm trying to get my head round the frequency response. People have said that the K340 isn't very flat, but I personally can't hear and large peaks and troughs disturb me - I'm oversensitive to brightness, and the K340 certainly doesn't exhibit any un-natural response in that area. It also has a very good bass response (I am certainly happier with it than with the K501 that I tried for a while). I do however hear a slight discontinuity between the dynamic and electrostatic elements of the sound - it seems that the midrange is rather slower than the treble, with the definition to the sound coming from the electret element. The electret sound has that electrostatic 'sweetness' which I've come to love since my hi-fi ears were broken in on a pair of QUAD ESL's. I suspect however that the dynamic driver is a little 'behind the times', compared with that AKG and others are able to do with dynamic drivers today. It just lacks a certain articulation throughout its range - that might simply be the location of the driver, which is of course behind the closed back of the electret meaning there is a lack of 'directness' to it's interaction with the ear. That's just speculation of course.

I'd appreciate any comments from other K340 owners.

Nice impressions, sounds like you are enjoying them. O0

They aren't that hard to drive - I am at about 10-11 o'clock on medium gain with my convertible.
Your convertible? Do you listen to your music quietly, loudly, or somewhere inbetween?
I'm trying to get my head round the frequency response. People have said that the K340 isn't very flat, but I personally can't hear and large peaks and troughs disturb me - I'm oversensitive to brightness, and the K340 certainly doesn't exhibit any un-natural response in that area. It also has a very good bass response (I am certainly happier with it than with the K501 that I tried for a while). I do however hear a slight discontinuity between the dynamic and electrostatic elements of the sound - it seems that the midrange is rather slower than the treble, with the definition to the sound coming from the electret element. The electret sound has that electrostatic 'sweetness' which I've come to love since my hi-fi ears were broken in on a pair of QUAD ESL's. I suspect however that the dynamic driver is a little 'behind the times', compared with that AKG and others are able to do with dynamic drivers today. It just lacks a certain articulation throughout its range - that might simply be the location of the driver, which is of course behind the closed back of the electret meaning there is a lack of 'directness' to it's interaction with the ear. That's just speculation of course.
Sounds about right to me... they are rich in the mids, but I've always found them to be relatively flat. As to your comments on the dynamic driver, you may find that it will improve with burn in. Also, one of the simplest and most effective mods that you can do is bypass the circuit board for this driver.

Stock: Cable --- Circuit Board --- Dynamic Driver --- Electret

Modded: Cable --- Dynamic Driver --- Circuit Board --- Electret

Other worthwhile mods:

- Removing all the cotton will tune down the bass a little, but tighten everything up and add more clarity.

- Taping up the back of the housings [where the cable enters/exits] with electrical tape will improve the imaging and make the soundstage more natural.

- Recable the headphones, dual entry, copper wire.

- Fit is key with these headphones. Replace elastics if necissary. K501 headband improves fit a bit for me and looks sexy. Velour earpads are more comfortable, seal better, and tune up the bass a bit.

- Clean them, inside and out.

Convertible = Desktop Portable w/Max Modules. I listen at about 80-85dB.
The very same Max Modules that I loved at the National Meet... well yeah, that'll drive 'em. I didn't go over 12 o'clock myself on high gain... of course that was a Balanced Max.

The very same Max Modules that I loved at the National Meet... well yeah, that'll drive 'em. I didn't go over 12 o'clock myself on high gain... of course that was a Balanced Max.

What mods did you have Larry do on your K340's? I can see some wood there... O0

12 o'clock on high gain, in balanced mode? That scares the hell out of me! Single ended medium gain at 12 o'clock is too loud. Wouldn't balanced high gain at 12 o'clock be about 3 times as loud, at least?

Edit :mikey2: Sloth is supposed to know about HR Amps! The stepped attenuator in the Balanced Max has very small steps towards 12 o'clock, which get progressively bigger after 12 o'clock so most of the volume range is actually after that point.

What mods did you have Larry do on your K340's? I can see some wood there... O0
Everything I listed above and some [purely cosmetic] wood on the earcups and at the cable join. I also went with full techflex sleeving, even though it is not all that practical. It does seem to stand up to abuse better than the cloth type stuff he normally uses and it sure looks pretty. :P

My first pair of K340's had BlackSilver... I can't recommend it. BlackMax and BlackGold [heard both on modded K340s] are a much better fit... I think that they like copper. I have BlackGold on my current pair and love it, but it is a bit pricey. :(

It seems that the contact and seal against the side of the head is very important. Just by pressing slightly on the outer ear cup (not moving it enough to really move the driver closer to the ear), the seal is much better and the bass is improved. I have ordered the velour pads (those are the ones for the 271, right?) so I'm looking forward to the improvement. I think however that I'm going to be keeping these headphones, which is something I haven't said since my 650's 2 years ago.

Yep, seal is key with the K340... replace the elastics if they don't hug your head with enough tension. Those velour pads will help as well. Stretch them first though, they are a pain to get on.

How do I go about replacing the elastics, and what did you use as a replacement? I'm such a K340 virgin!

How do I go about replacing the elastics, and what did you use as a replacement? I'm such a K340 virgin!

Step 1: Find an attractive female with a ponytail

Step 2: Ask if you can have her hair elastic

Step 3: Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you have a nice collection of hair elastics

Step 4: Remove the screw in the headband and open it up.

Step 5: Replace worn elastic with one of the hair elastics you got