Looking for something that probably doesn't exist...

Is there some way to monitor auction sites or forums such that when a particular product went on sale, you would receive an email or would otherwise be notified?

For example, let's say I was in the market for another North Star. I could subscribe to the FS forums on HF, HC, etc. and get daily updates. Same with the 'bay. Not sure about the 'gon. But I'm wondering if there is some sort of service or feed or robot or spider or whateverthefuck that would monitor certain sites and notify me asap when something was posted for sale.

Is this remotely feasible, or am I just being an assfacehole?

I thought maybe it would be something like that. But how would I configure it?

There are many apps that do this, but personally I use Google Reader which is web-based. If you're using Firefox, on some pages where RSS feed is available, you should have a small icon like the one on the left here:

81702552bd2.png

Click on that and it will give you the address of the RSS feed. Put that address in Google Reader and you're done.

The technology exists -- if it exists for the consumer, I don't know.

If it doesn't, I can't imagine it'd be too hard to write -- I've used the google ajax API myself. Just start with a canonical list of search hits, and then compare new iterations of the search result set against the canonical set and look for differences.

Thanks for volunteering! ;D

^ I know how to do all of that except use the google ajax API, start with a canonical list of search hits, compare new iterations of the search result set against the canonical set, and look for differences.

I did some searching last night and it looks like there are some standalone software solutions, but they all seem to be for Windows--I have a Mac. There are some web-based apps that might work, but they seem to turn results daily at the most frequent. I'd want hourly at least. One web-based app looks like that functionality is in development, but not out yet.

I'll find a solution. I'm persistent like that.:asshat:

What you are looking for is "web mining" or "web scraping". But I have a feeling they're going to charge you a lot more than you'd be willing to pay. From a brief look-see, it looks like they're targeting not the buyer for this, but the seller, in terms of establishing a market price for a new product.

The problem with this "hourly" stuff is that most sites don't like their sites being constantly searched by monkeys and lackeys that frequently. Once a day, maximum, please.

this is built into ebay at least, its called "saved searches"... you can set them up in the regular search page, whenever something gets listed that matches your string it shoots you an email... ive picked up quite a few rare items this way :)

But the delay between listing and when you receive the email is pretty slow.