Recommend French press coffee maker

guzziguy

The glass beaker of my current Bodum french press is cracked and leaking. This is the second consecutive beaker that's failed in under a year. Can anybody recommend a small capacity (4 cup or 20 oz. range) french press that will last longer than a year? I would think that having a metal beaker or something similar would be good. Meanwhile, I'll start searching the web.

Just get an aeropress. But really, don't be so abusive and the bodums shouldn't crack. I've had mine for 5 years now.

I'm not sure if I did something to the first one. The second one cracked when I poured in the hot water a couple of days ago. There was nothing unusual about the conditions and it definitely shouldn't have cracked.

I actually have the 8 cup Chambord but it's too big and doesn't make such great coffee when it's only 12 oz. worth. I may have to try the Aeropress.

I have a glass bodum as well that lasted for about 5 years as well. Bodum does sell the plastic one they call "unbreakable". I use that one at work and it is great. I've found that the Bodum French Presses are one of my favorites. I hope the next one works better for you Ken :)

You can get a new carafe only, which is at least cheaper than buying the whole French press:

Espresso Zone - Bodum French Press Replacement Glass

After paying a giant vet bill before NY Eve, I opted for the cheap fix and bought a replacement carafe. We'll see how long it lasts. I will be careful with it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.