CD-Rom drive controller.

Duggeh

How do you go about rigging a cdrom drive to output an audio signal that can be fed to a standard audio device like a DAC? Is there some wee kit to do that too?

Hm this is interesting, I'm guessing this is the answer:

Quote from FS CDROM Controller - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Hi swistak, the format of digital output is TTL . Because all the CD-ROM only provides TTL digital signal derectlly from the rear panel. But you can translate the TTL to SPDIF easilly, just add 3 passive resistors and capacitors.

I wrote the circuit in my USER MANUAL for this CD-ROM controller, send me an email if you interest ^_^

/quote

That kit looks particularly interesting. Seems like you only need the kit and PSU and CDrom drive and that circuit to make a transport.

Ah, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread. Yes, looks like a cool deal as I have an external DVD/CD writer drive with PSU. Add a kit and yeah, nice transport.

Hmm, further thinkings....

My drive has a USB interface, is there any way to plug this into a USB DAC and expect it to do anything?

I know, wishful thinking on my part :D

Ah, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread. Yes, looks like a cool deal as I have an external DVD/CD writer drive with PSU. Add a kit and yeah, nice transport.

Hmm, further thinkings....

My drive has a USB interface, is there any way to plug this into a USB DAC and expect it to do anything?

I know, wishful thinking on my part :D

Haha now THAT would be cool ;D

Hey can I check, that PSU is it the same as the one inside the com?

This looks really interesting, cause I also have a CDrom drive and a PSU at hand. Has anyone tried this kit? I'm a bit hesistant cause I'm just getting started on electronics and it would be great to have someone to ask if I screw up ;) This doesn't look too complicated so i'm hoping its not more than I can chew on.