Curious about cable lengths

penger

So, hopefully I'm not making a complete fool of myself for asking but...

If you had to chose, would you rather have a longer USB cable or RCA cable from computer -> DAC -> amp? Would having a longer USB be better because of they way it transmits data? Does it apply to optical and coax too?

I remember reading (don't remember where) that if you had to chose a longer speaker cable or a longer IC from source -> amp, you should run longer IC and keep the speaker cable shorter... not sure if that's related though...

So, hopefully I'm not making a complete fool of myself for asking but...

If you had to chose, would you rather have a longer USB cable

No

or RCA cable from computer -> DAC -> amp? Would having a longer USB be better because of they way it transmits data?
USB should make no difference.

Does it apply to optical and coax too?

Coax, yes. Should be at least 1.5m to minimize the effect of reflections.

I remember reading (don't remember where) that if you had to chose a longer speaker cable or a longer IC from source -> amp, you should run longer IC and keep the speaker cable shorter... not sure if that's related though...

Some subscribe to that theory. Others go opposite (short ICs, long speaker cables (I think Mapleshade might advocate this,but I don't get their catalogs anymore).