Just got my W5000...

Mr.Shadow

O.K, so almost ampless(using my PA2v2) and with not a very decent source (X5L DAP) after getting the suitable adatpter (1/4"->1/8") from radioshcak, I finally set down and listen to my new fresh out of the box W5000 :angel:

First strike: Dream Theatre, Album=Awake Track=#1 (6:00) HOLY COW !!! :dance: the drums !!! so clear, so tight, so so.... real !!!

Amazing ! I repeated that part 3 times in a row just to make sure I wasn't dreaming or my mind dosen't playing tricks on me !

Detail is by far more than what I have expected ! noise level is very low, the upper extension is moderate and very balanced with no harsh, coloration or what so ever artifact ! Me Like O0

sound is very open, but not like gradi open, just open ! the sound is also very airy, light, a real treat.

dynamics is there, you can (not)hear it, becuase everything is there, from the little guitar note to the biggest drum in the image !

so nothing feels "wrong" as you usually feel when dynamics, detail or PRAT is not right.

Next thing, "Dream Theatre - Strem of Consequences", wow, the guitar is so clear again, and the soundstage all along the song, is clear, wide (not as wide as K-340, but much more than my HF-1) and everything is pin point place, as everybody said.

The mids are just a bit upfront, just the way I like it, I think there is just a slight hint of coloration in the mids, but really nothing special and critical, most cases it is not noticable !

The sound has tendency to be slim on the lower end, though slam and impact is there, I guess the SP Slam will make things better here >:D

All in all, out of the box they sound great, and I know that my home rig (SB3-->MPX3 Slam) will make thing much better, and so will the Brake in :mikey2:

They are really intimate in their listening, not much of a seal for a closed can, but more than enough, its funny, because the sound dosen't reminds me a closed can at all ! 8)

I'll start the brake in period, more impressions to come fox...

Where are the pictures? ;D

I'm borrowing a pair of W5K's and I really agree with your statements about them being open and airy and that they tend to be light in the bass department. For my tastes I prefer a warmer and fuller sound so they really aren't headphones I'd ever consider buying. However I think fans of the dt880 and k701 sound would find the W5000 to be the perfect headphones. IMO they share sonic traits of those phones but with more definition and refinement.

No pictures right now :mikey1:

I am cameraless, Right now I am at cincinnati Ohio, tomorrow Iam on the plane to Holland for a week, and then back home for further impressions O0

I think the W5000 are superior to the DT880 (haven't heared the K701) in terms of clarity, refinment, detail, neutral sound.

The bass in the DT-880 is much much fuller and deeper, but they mostly excel with classical and acoustic music, the W5000 sounds great on anything, I am going through a lot of stuff right now, from Heavy metal to Trip Hop and vocal, its a very very good all-arounder headphone ! 8)

God Fucking Damn It!

Now there's another headphone I need to try.

FUCK I need to make it out to a meet someday.

Gah, same here. :( I've been longing to try these for so long. Also, I'm almost certainly sure they have just the sound I want. ;D

The bass is a bit pitty I must say, though I havent connected them into my slam yet, so I havn't gave my final verdict yet.

Its good to know that the highs will smooth, because I found them open but a bit harsh, I kinda figured it's a Break In thing and sounds like an out of the box artificial highs.

Thanks Patu O0

The bass is a bit pitty I must say, though I havent connected them into my slam yet, so I havn't gave my final verdict yet.

Its good to know that the highs will smooth, because I found them open but a bit harsh, I kinda figured it's a Break In thing and sounds like an out of the box artificial highs.

Thanks Patu O0

When I first got my pair I still had my friends fully burned-in pair to compare them with. My pair sounded somewhat tight and brighter (even harsh and fatiguing every now and then) with less bass compared to fully burned in pair. They will only get better after some burn-in.

I spent some time over the weekend listening to the W5K again and I can't quite put my finger on it, but they just don't do anything for me. I mean I can hear all their technical virtues but for me the emotion/feeling of the music just isn't there.

I have changed my mind about the bass a little bit, it's not so much lack of quantity as it is how fast it decays. Bass notes hit very quickly but the textures and resonances I expect to hear in the decay just aren't there because the decay is too fast.

Sounds like the 5000 might not be my cup of tea either. Is it just me or is every can this side of the Grado HP series somewhat coloured or weighted to one end or the other? Where's the balance??

For those of you with the W5000 and who've heard the 701, how would you say they compare in terms of bass(depth vs impact)? Would you say the 5000 is brighter?

When I heard it at the National meet, I wasn't upset with the sound as much as the fit. It seems like AT is going with longer headband pieces. The problem I noticed was that the metal headbands are too long and that caused the top of the pad to not sit against my head...there was a gap...music leaked out, sound leaked in. When I pressed on the top of each can then i got a goo seat and that made all the difference. I noticed this with the ATH-AD500 I tried a year ago as well. Overall I was dissappointed because I think they would be better cans if they just fit better.

I don't know, do W5000 owners notice this as well, or do I have a tiny head (sigh, go ahead with the penis jokes...)