fostex 127e monitors by mark reid

crappyjones123

I'm a huge fan of slot ports... but, I think that is probably the sloppiest part of the build.. not that I could do better, but.... I'm wondering if the exit looks like that, then what the internal part of the port looks like (is it rounded over, etc.)... edit, it may not even be a proper slot port, just an opening.. in which case, that's kinda fail in my book.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a huge fan of slot ports... but, I think that is probably the sloppiest part of the build.. not that I could do better, but.... I'm wondering if the exit looks like that, then what the internal part of the port looks like (is it rounded over, etc.)... edit, it may not even be a proper slot port, just an opening.. in which case, that's kinda fail in my book.

I just came back from Mark and after speaking with him, I'm going to get a pair for my office. It will give the Beta an easier load to drive. Mark intends on finishing the ports on future builds. There may have been a time issue with this pair. Hopefully Mark will get some time to address the technical questions. I can say it is not just an opening.

I won't pretend I know anything about speakers, as I am still learning about the hi-fi world. I was over at Mark's place as well and, besides learning a couple of things on speakers, I have to say that going to his place has put the type of giddy smile I haven't experienced since I was a kid walking into Toys 'R Us.

The man has so many projects going at the same time it is INSANE. But the fact that he can juggle all these while still being meticulously fussy over details is the real testament to his skill. As Mike said, the cabinet above was completed on a rush basis.

As for the other projects he has going on (amps and other speakers), well, let's just say I am glad I live close by.

Also, why must Mike get all the good things? It is envious enough that he can shell out money on gear, but to have Mark be practically in his backyard is surely a gesture of the gods mocking the rest of the peasants like myself... :mad:

I think I added to the insanity by giving him a book written by another mad audio scientist... The book was way over my head, but it had many interesting experimental pieces. Also, Mike, thanks for the cables, man. I appreciate it. I will let you know if I decide to buy the one with the frayed jacket by the end of the week.

I just came back from Mark and after speaking with him, I'm going to get a pair for my office. It will give the Beta an easier load to drive. Mark intends on finishing the ports on future builds. There may have been a time issue with this pair. Hopefully Mark will get some time to address the technical questions. I can say it is not just an opening.

the beta should drive those drivers beautifully. once finals are over, i hope to get to listen to the speakers once again but for now they remain neglected =/

i wasnt sure if the finish of the port was in question or whether the question was if it was just an opening or a port. i certainly did rush mark for the speakers as i wanted them to be a birthday present. given the constantly changing time lines i gave him i dont think he could have done a better job.

once school starts again(in may) mike, you are welcome to give the pair in the first post a test run with your beta if you want to listen to them for a few days. i would be very surprised if they dont sound every bit as good as your system audios if not better.