The Quad 99 CDP-2 vs. *

I've had my CDP-2 for a year and a half now, and I really like it. It's the best source I've ever owned. It doesn't have all of the slam that the four DAC chips inside my Adcom GCD-750 produce, but it's much more nimble sounding. Oddly enough, it has great synergy with my 12L Actives. It's not a fair fight, but I prefer the sound of my CDP-2 to my humble Pico DAC (which is great for what it is.) In fact, I like it better than any of the other DACs in my house.

The CDP-2 goes for $1200-ish new, AFAIK. What I'd like hear about is any DACs in the price range that best it. I read in another thread on here that the $1500 price bracket for DACs is a crowded one. A number of head-casers own or have owned the CDP-2 as well as other shiny DACs. I'm curious how the CDP-2 holds up against similarly priced competition. Also, how much more would one have to spend to thoroughly best it. I'm guessing most candidates would cost at least twice as much and involve tubes. Two obvious examples would be the Capitole and this damn thing.

Not a DAC, but the Oppo BDP-83SE could best it, I think.

I'm also fairly fond of my MSB DAC's, but don't know if they've updated them yet (it's going on a decade-old design, at this point).

Without having heard it, the Cambridge Audio 840c should be on your short list. The newly-minted 650BD doesn't have external input, alas, maybe look for whatever they place in an 800-series?

If the 5400 had a digital input, I'd already have one.

The local Spearit Sound is a Cambridge Audio dealer. Over the years I have heard quite a few CA CDPs. A friend of mine has owned two of them. So far, none have been overly to my liking. From what I remember, the lower end ones are overly bright, and the upper models lack impact. To be fair, I have not heard the 840c. Likewise, I haven't auditioned any Cambridge gear in about 3 years now so perhaps I'm due.

For purposes of this discussion, I'm really only talking about units that are dedicated DACs, or have a digital input. I don't do much with physical media these days except for ripping it.

If the 5400 had a digital input, I'd already have one.

The local Spearit Sound is a Cambridge Audio dealer. Over the years I have heard quite a few CA CDPs. A friend of mine has owned two of them. So far, none have been overly to my liking. From what I remember, the lower end ones are overly bright, and the upper models lack impact. To be fair, I have not heard the 840c. Likewise, I haven't auditioned any Cambridge gear in about 3 years now so perhaps I'm due.

For purposes of this discussion, I'm really only talking about units that are dedicated DACs, or have a digital input. I don't do much with physical media these days except for ripping it.

I was really impressed with this when I tried this: Mytek Digital Stereo96 Series - DAC | VintageKing.com

Though it certainly isn't impressive looking.

I heard the 840c for an extended listening session in a store in NH. Liked it, but it had a midrange glare that bothered me. A Primare CD player I auditioned the same day in the same system fared better, definitely as resolving but more musical.

Not that I've looked hard to see if anyone reliable has done it, but I imagine the 840c might respond well to mods......