Converting Movies for Playback on iPad/iPhone

You can make custom presets to limit how much scaling the screen has to do and to keep the file size reasonable. Usually if you rip at 720 x 480 (or anamorphic) at 1,500 - 1,800 kbps your full size movie might take 1.0 - 1.3 Gb and still look decent on a 40" TV as well as the iPad. I also make a smaller 480 x 320 or similar file at 500 kbps for my iPhone and Nano, which only take 400-700 Mb space and can fit on a CDROM.

The DVD was ripped with AnyDVD ripper. The video file is already in iTunes and plays fine. File is not big and I have plenty of room on my 64gb iPad. When I sync it, all the videos go except this one. I checked the check box, I have done a complete restore. I have removed and re-added the videos. Nothing I do will get iTunes to add this one file to my iPad or iPhone.

The DVD was ripped with AnyDVD ripper. The video file is already in iTunes and plays fine. File is not big and I have plenty of room on my 64gb iPad. When I sync it, all the videos go except this one. I checked the check box, I have done a complete restore. I have removed and re-added the videos. Nothing I do will get iTunes to add this one file to my iPad or iPhone.

I've encountered the same issue. I ran the file in question through Handbrake and it worked.

How about right click convert for iPad?

You Da Man Grawk!! In iTunes, under advanced, there is "create iPad or apple TV version". Selected the video and hit this. It must do it in realtime because it took about an hour to convert an hour long video. I have never seen this in iTunes nor have I needed it until now. Thanks again!

You Da Man Grawk!! In iTunes, under advanced, there is "create iPad or apple TV version". Selected the video and hit this. It must do it in realtime because it took about an hour to convert an hour long video. I have never seen this in iTunes nor have I needed it until now. Thanks again!

Well, for example if you have a .mov file it will play in itunes fine, but wont transfer to an iPod until you convert it into an M4v or MP4.