Fallout 1: fuuuuuuuuuuuu...

postjack

So I told myself I wouldn't play Fallout 3 until I completely exhausted Oblivion. Well I haven't completely exhausted Oblivion, but I thought I'd play Fallout 1 and 2 before I play Fallout 3. I actually never played the original Fallout games. Fallout 1 is great! Definitely holds up, and I'm really enjoying it.

Well, up until now.

I was doing the Brotherhood mission to head to the glow. I'm not using a walkthrough or anything, but I did read to get some Rad-X and Radaway. I took some rad-x before I went in, and ran the whole dungeon, but now I always die a short while after I leave. I don't have enough radaway to clear all my radiation, and taboot I saved so much while I was in the glow that I ended up saving over my pre-glow game! So I'm pretty much screwed, and just wanted to share. :(

Ouch sorry postie :(

I screwed myself in a similar situation in Fallout 2 my first time (exploring too far on the map, and getting raped by high level random encounters). Always use all 15 save slots (or how ever many there are). So you got to the last floor of the crater/under ground building and can't get out? How many times have you tried, IIRC the radiation poising hits in random intervals (and you don't have enough healing items to keep you from dying from radiation)?

I just remembered there are some hard as shit parts in Fallout 1. The early game can be brutal, like the fucking mutant lizard dungeon where you have to rescue the dumbshit that gets trapped there. The end game is so fun though. You are making me want to install it again...

Edited by deepak

i can get out just fine, its once I've traveled for about a day after leaving that the radiation kicks in, all my stats drop to zero, and I die. i've done lots of googling, its pretty much a your screwed situation. what I should have done was built up my resistance more before entering.

its funny, because I did use all the save slots, so much in fact that I saved over my last pre-glow slot. so i won't do that again in the future.

anywho I'm just going to roll a new character. it sucks but not that bad, it will be fun to start a new character knowing what I know now.

Wow. This brings back memories. It's been 8-9 years since I played Fallout 1. It's truly a great game. Fallout 2 is much, much bigger, and fixes some annoying mechanical issues in the original. That said, Fallout 1 is a more satisfying, complete game. The first time I got to the glow, I gave my NPCs and even Dogmeat Rad-X, but ISTR that's not necessary. Having a tough radiation resistance and lots of drugs is essential, however. I only got the "You die of radiation sickness" ending once. A reload and more Rad-X fixed it, I think.

I have a copy of Fallout 3 that's been sitting here for almost two years waiting for me to play it. I should have a machine for said purpose in a couple weeks. That will certainly be a time sink/end of my social life.

hey so here is a fallout question: lots of times I see references to a quest or something that let's you boost your stats by 1. they say it's not worth starting with stats higher then 9 because you'll be able to boost them by 1 at some point. in particular I want to be able to boost my agility to 10 so I can shoot twice in one round. I'm having a hard time googling for info on this. can anyone give me some tips?

I only played each game once, so I have not heard about this. When I played I chose "gifted" so I could have +1 stats in everything, then just shifted around Agi to 8. And then used stims before big fights. If you do find out let us know, I searched through a couple of FAQ/guides and couldn't find the answer.

Also agree that Fallout 1 is cooler than Fallout 2.

I never did get around to playing the Fallout series. I really should rectify that, though I don't even know if Fallout 1/2 will run on Snow Leopard.

Haj if you can boot into XP you should be fine. There are fan made patches for WinXP that fix nearly every bug that you'll probably never encounter one. I played all of Fallout 1 on my laptop's track pad.

Edited by deepak

Haj if you can boot into XP you should be fine. There are fan made patches for WinXP that fix nearly every bug that you'll probably never encounter one. I played all of Fallout 1 on my laptop's track pad.

I hadn't thought of that.

On a similar vein, I supposed I could install it on wife's Windows machine, though I'm not sure how she'd feel about that.

for the record, I'm running the steam version on win 7/64. I had some issues with odd colors but they were fixed by running the exe 1) as admin and 2) in winxp sp2 compatability mode. the videos still aren't perfect, but it that doesn't bother me.

I just rolled a new char named Sandwinches. I misspelled the name so I'm stuck with him. stats are something like:

str 7

per 9

end 4

cha 6

int 9

agi 9

luck 5

gifted and finesse, small guns/speech/lock picks. this is from memory so it's not wholly accurate.

I was a huge arcanum fan and this reminds me a lot of arcanum, it's great sandbox fun.

• 3 weeks later...
pw how goes the Fallout progress?

ah school starting back up really screwed up my video game life, as it always does. i'm studying auditing now when I should be rolling with dogmeat and wrecking fools. :(

anyway I'm kind of glad I started a new character, I got a few new followers, and just managed to do the brotherhood/glow quest without dying! so i'm currently in the brotherhood of steel. Just running quests until I get strong enough to do the waterchip quest so I can really start sandboxing.